• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT Connect Users? Sending emails when not connected to BT isp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT Connect Users? Sending emails when not connected to BT isp

A friend of mine has just switched his business to BT Business Broadband (giving him an @btconnect email address). Now when he's at home (where his ISP is Tiscali) he says he can't send emails using his @btconnect address. This seems fair enough, as BT stop any old spammer using their SMTP servers to send emails. However, there's usually a way around this by using SMTP authentication.

Does anyone know what the actual settings are for BT Business Broadband? He's spoken to their helpline and says they're clueless. I've Googled and didn't find conclusive "this works" information.

So if any of you are actually doing this, I'd be grateful to know what your SMTP settings are.

Of course, he has the same problem the other way around when he's at the office he can't send emails from his home Tiscali email account. From what I've seen on t'internet Tiscali don't allow access to their SMTP servers from any other ISP than themselves. Anyone know different or can confirm that it definitely impossible to send mail from an @tiscali.co.uk address when using a different ISP.

Thanks!

EDIT: yes I know it's kinda quaint for anyone to actually use the email address that comes 'free' with their broadband connection!

Working...
X