• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking the C++ plunge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely recommend Visual Studio Express, however you might also find something like GCC good for command-line test apps, when learning the language.

Top Tip #1: view learning to use debugger as part of the language, not something you add on later.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      I also suggest that you do a "C" refresher of some sort...

Good luck.
      Seconded.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Since my contract is unlikely to be renewed in August and the RPG / Midas prospects are looking bleak, I've decided to re-skill in another banking package (Summit).

This necessitates me learning C++.

I did a bit of C at uni (12 years ago), but nothing since. I'm currently an AS400/system i developer so don't know a massive amount about OO programming but how hard can it be - right?

Can anybody recommend:

1) an online tutorial to get me started (google found this linky - any good?)
        2) some books for further learning
        3) development tools I might find handy

TIA
        If you need any C++ e-books, e.g. O'Reilly or Wiley etc, I have copies. All of them

Just pm me.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
        X