• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Domain Trust Relationship over VPN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domain Trust Relationship over VPN

My company has been bought by a Belgium company and now need to set a Domain Trust over a VPN link. I have never done this before but I assume that a new DNS zone must be created for the new domain.
    Any ideas?

A lot depends on the VPN. Try:

http://openvpn.net/

"OpenVPN implements OSI layer 2 or 3 secure network extension using the industry standard SSL/TLS protocol"

Layer 2 allows for broadcasts, negating the need for a WINS server (effectively an ethernet bridge) and very little reconfig of the existing setup.

Notice it's tunneled - therefore NAT friendly and easy to configure through a firewall.

Comment

Very interesting site.
      I have the VPN side setup using Watchguard X1000, that works OK.
      The problem is when I tried to create the trust the domain cannot be found. I can ping the servers at the other side of the tunnel but DNS canoot resolve.

Comment

Originally posted by xondo
        Very interesting site.
        I have the VPN side setup using Watchguard X1000, that works OK.
        The problem is when I tried to create the trust the domain cannot be found. I can ping the servers at the other side of the tunnel but DNS canoot resolve.
        Name resolution is more important, so deal with that first:
        Have you populated the DNS with the new server(s) details? Include in-addr.arpa reverse lookups too.
        Do you have at least one DNS per site or one DNS server overall?
        Maybe DNS query traffic is not getting through (UDP 53)?
        Have you updated DHCP to reflect the new network topography and renewed leases?

Comment

I am working on those issues, not sure how NT4 will handle the DNS or if there is a need to add entries to lmhosts. Our It guy in Belgium does not speak much English so comunications are very slow. WIll post an update.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
          X