• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Automated database unit testing on VSTS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automated database unit testing on VSTS

I’m trying to automate some unit testing of stored procedures on an SQL Server database using Visual Studio Team Suite.

The sprocs are simple SELECT statements with a couple of parameters that return a value from the table. A simple unit test for one of the sprocs from within VSTS is the following:

DECLARE @RC INT,
    @fruit_id numeric(8,0),
    @language_code varchar(2)

SELECT @RC = 0,
    @fruit_id = 00004545,
    @language_code = 'EN'

EXEC @RC = [dbo].[usp_fruit_select] @fruit_id, @language_code

SELECT RC=@RC
    Set the scalarValueCondition so that the condition fails if the value in the Resultset is not ‘Apple’, run the test and the test is successful.

I have a .csv file of the full expected result sets, which runs to several hundred rows. Now I don’t want to have to create several hundred individual unit tests, I’d prefer to be able to call the parameters and the scalar result from a file that looks like this:

fruit_id; language_code; scalarValue;
    00004545; EN; Apple
    00004546; FR; Pomme
    00004547; DE; Apfel
    00004548; EN; Pear
    00004549; ES; Pera

The file has been added to the test using the Data Connection String, but that’s where I come to a halt. Where/how do I recode the parameters and scalar Value to retrieve the data from the file?

Cheers,

Are the unit tests run from within the .NET framework or purely in SQL server? I prefer to use the framework plus my preferred language to do unit testing.

Databases are king at set operations and tulip for logic even in 2010. The operation of parsing a delimited file is really simple in most programming languages but too much effort in TSQL; you have to write your own function to do the equivalent of string split for example.

Are you using a unit testing framework? If so, which one.

Comment

Working...
    X