• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VS.Net HintPaths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VS.Net HintPaths

These are driving me nuts. My understanding of hintpaths was that some algorithm was used to determine the location of the referenced assembly based on the hintpath you provide. So, if you specify a hint path of \..\..\..\lib\myassembly.dll the reference can actually exist in a folder called lib which is nested up to 3 levels down from the root folder. From messing around, I can't see that hintpaths are anything other than relative paths to the current project or an absolute path.

The reason I need to get this working is that I have created a project template which references a number of assemblies. Now, I never know where the user is going to install the project in relation to the directory structure on the local machine, the only known is that the referenced dll exists in a known subtree of that structure somewhre. I though hintapths were supposed to help here.

Working...
X