• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IP conflicts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    BTW I have a Netgear DG834v4 too, and have been running the 5.0.0.14 firmware for some time. I haven't had the aforementioned problem for a long while, so maybe it was the firmware that fixed it.
    That's good to know - thanks!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      WHS (including the bits I haven't quoted).

A friend of mine gave me a useful tip a few years ago: rather than staying with the default 192.168.1.x DHCP/NAT range, move your router's DHCP to somewhere else - say, 192.168.23.x, where the 23 can be any value from 1 to 255.

That way you are very unlikely to end up with DHCP conflicts when something that also has DHCP enabled connects to your network. Everything uses 1 as the default, which makes 192.168.1.x potentially a crowded neighbourhood.
      Good tip thanks.

I've always nailed mine down to fixed IPs when possible. For the last bit of the address I had a naming scheme, so that my Winders boxes were numbered 11, 12..., Linux boxes 21, 22... and so on. This made it easier to remember which addresses were running which OS and helped when sifting though logs.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        I've had that before on my Netgear router, and I think it's when it's struggling to reconnect the ADSL. I imagine the "limited connectivity" message is because the ethernet connection was dropped, then tried to reconnect but DHCP didn't work. It's not specific to wireless.

BTW I have a ******** firmware for some time. I haven't had the aforementioned problem for a long while, so maybe it was the firmware that fixed it.
        Without wanting to sound rude here, but I wouldn't advertise what Router manufacturer and firmware you are using on a forum that can be read by the masses. It's something that hackers love to see. Just a thought.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Without wanting to sound rude here, but I wouldn't advertise what Router manufacturer and firmware you are using on a forum that can be read by the masses. It's something that hackers love to see. Just a thought.
          I'm using a dual tier of Checkpoint UTM's and Cisco ASA's in case any hackers are reading this ...
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
          X