• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

data roaming and wifi in europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

data roaming and wifi in europe

Does anyone else use t-mobile for data roaming in europe? - Apparently I have to pay for wifi access, even if it is through a private wifi connection, not a hotspot. I don't understand this as surely it is not using T-Mobile's network at all.

They are adamant that i will be charged, anyone else any experience with this?

Originally posted by bobsyouruncle View Post
    Does anyone else use t-mobile for data roaming in europe? - Apparently I have to pay for wifi access, even if it is through a private wifi connection, not a hotspot. I don't understand this as surely it is not using T-Mobile's network at all.

They are adamant that i will be charged, anyone else any experience with this?
    Sounds like they have Wifi and 3G confused to me. I can't even see how they would know you are accessing anything if it's a private access point. I'm on Vodafone, but I've used my phone and laptop with private WiFi hotspots in Germany, Italy, France and Switzerland with no bother or charges.

3G roaming is quite expensive, I've invested €10 in a local PAYG SIM for Germany, with the right weekly or monthly subscription it pays for itself in a week, so you might want to consider that if you expect to use 3G much.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I have no personal experience of this but do remember reading a thread about this several months ago where the consensus seemed to be poor understanding, as has already been mentioned, between 3G and WiFi.

Apologies, I can't remember which forum it was but try Money Savng Expert or do a quick Google search.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        I have no personal experience of this but do remember reading a thread about this several months ago where the consensus seemed to be poor understanding, as has already been mentioned, between 3G and WiFi.

Apologies, I can't remember which forum it was but try Money Savng Expert or do a quick Google search.
        Yeah I just found a few threads on Money Saving Expert, although related to IPhone / O2. I have spoken to 2 different people at T-Mobile and 3 by email and they all say i will have to pay for data using WIFI. Very strange. One thing somebody mentioned on Money Saving Expert is if you remove the sim, then how would they even know you were using WIFI.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsyouruncle View Post
          Yeah I just found a few threads on Money Saving Expert, although related to IPhone / O2. I have spoken to 2 different people at T-Mobile and 3 by email and they all say i will have to pay for data using WIFI. Very strange. One thing somebody mentioned on Money Saving Expert is if you remove the sim, then how would they even know you were using WIFI.
          I remember having a similar conversation with Orange who insisted that connecting my iPhone to a private WiFi network would eat into my download limit (which you'll remember they originally said was unlimited but limited to 750MB per month).

I just couldn't figure this out at all. I seem to remember finding clarification somewhere on the web that this is not in fact he case, but I don't recall where I got that now. I think I may have started a thread in Technical about this at the time.

EDIT: My thread was in General
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...s-bizarre.html
          Last edited by Platypus; 17 March 2010, 12:25.

Comment

Answer stop roaming until the telcos get their rates right.

I always buy as pay-as-you go sim where I go and keep my uk sim in an old phone for incoming (I usually call them back from skype).

Google Voice is set to straighten this all out, but as you can imagine is getting resistance from everyone benefiting from silly roaming rates.

Comment

Working...
            X