• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mailing list software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mailing list software

Hi,

I'm looking for some software that will allow me to incorporate mailing lists into my website and then deal with the sending/receiving. Can anyone recommend anything?. I'm toying with writing myself, but surely this is common functionality?

Requirements -
    - Allow users to add themselves to lists via a web form.
    - Validate users email addresses when requesting addition
    - Allow users to maintain themselves - i.e. remove themselves/change email address.
    - Control who can send to each list and send suitable error to those who aren't allowed.
    - Integrate with my current web host's email system to send/receive
    - free or cheap
    - Must be web based as I don't have access to the server itself.
    - can be either .NET or PHP scripting
    - can be either MySQL or SQL Server 2005 database
    - My hosting provider supports POP, IMAP & SMTP.

I'm not really sure how this would work - I guess some scheduled task would need to check the mailboxes and either send mails or process administrative things such as adding users. The task would have to be some kind of database or web script.

Thanks,

Al.
    Back at the coal face

We use PHPList for the CUK mailer:
    http://www.phplist.com/

http://www.contractoruk.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

Requirements -
    - Allow users to add themselves to lists via a web form. Yes
    - Validate users email addresses when requesting addition Yes
    - Allow users to maintain themselves - i.e. remove themselves/change email address. Yes
    - Control who can send to each list and send suitable error to those who aren't allowed. Not sure what you mean
    - Integrate with my current web host's email system to send/receive Yes
    - free or cheap Yes
    - Must be web based as I don't have access to the server itself. Yes
    - can be either .NET or PHP scripting PHP
    - can be either MySQL or SQL Server 2005 database MySQL
    - My hosting provider supports POP, IMAP & SMTP Erm
    Not sure about your last point as I use it on Linux machines and it just uses the mail system to send, I have not set this up on MS servers and really not sure how the mail side of things works with them. POP is used to retrieve bounces from the mail box specified in the errors-to or reply-to address so that mail accounts that die are removed from the mailer.

Works very well! If you use it and need any help give me a shout.

Comment

Working...
    X