• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Network Ports & Firewalls

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Ports & Firewalls

Just spent all Crimble installing games etc for sprogs on the computer...trouble is that most games appear to require opening up the firewall on various ports - not being too au fait with this milarky does anyone know the risks in doing so:

World Warcraft required UDP on all comm ports local & remote which seems a little scary

also TCP on local port 3724, 8086, 8087,9081, 9090, 9097,9100

Nintendo WiFi require remote ports 29900 29901 & 29920

The ports are stealthed ...but that's about the limit of my knowledge - will opening them up allow an attack?

TIA

You need outbound or inbound, or both??

May compromise your computer if someone was to use a port scanner and then see the open port. But your firewall may protect it, which firewall are you using?
    Last edited by Daywalker; 28 December 2005, 09:56.

Comment

Thanks

There is (I believe) a hardware firewall in the BT router- I also use Nortons Internet Security which is where I have opened the ports

Comment

Your Norton Firewall should allow the connections for the ports you have opened but control any malicous attempts to access your computer.

Is it working?

Do you need to amend the BT router also?

Comment

Norton firewall is no good. Get Zone Alarm instead.

Comment

People often confuse firewalls with NAT, because both are usually on the same device or part of the same software.

The general rule of thumb is:

* Discard all inbound traffic on external interface that is not part of a sequence initiated locally (firewall function)
            * Allow all outbound traffic from trusted network (your home LAN) via internal interface (firewall function)
            * Record all outbound traffic and store source and destination address with source and destination TCP/UDP ports in a table (NAT table)
            * Re-write source IP and source TCP/UDP port (NAT function)
            * Examine destination TCP/UDP ports on incoming traffic, IF it matches a mapping in the NAT table re-write and forward to host in trusted network, ELSE discard.

For servers/games you have to create:

1. A manual entry in the NAT table (aka IP forwarding)
            * Tell the device that incoming traffic using TCP/UDP port XXX on the external interface is to forwarded to a host on the trusted network (NAT function)
            2. A manual entry in your firewall rules
            * Tell the device that incoming traffic using TCP/UDP port XXX on the external interface is permitted (firewall function)

For two firewall/NAT devices all this needs to be done twice! This is not recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by Daywalker
              Your Norton Firewall should allow the connections for the ports you have opened but control any malicous attempts to access your computer.

Is it working?

Do you need to amend the BT router also?
              No I left the BT router alone .. it's working ...but my concern is that I have compromised security...

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY
                People often confuse firewalls with NAT, because both are usually on the same device or part of the same software.

The general rule of thumb is:

* Discard all inbound traffic on external interface that is not part of a sequence initiated locally (firewall function)
                * Allow all outbound traffic from trusted network (your home LAN) via internal interface (firewall function)
                * Record all outbound traffic and store source and destination address with source and destination TCP/UDP ports in a table (NAT table)
                * Re-write source IP and source TCP/UDP port (NAT function)
                * Examine destination TCP/UDP ports on incoming traffic, IF it matches a mapping in the NAT table re-write and forward to host in trusted network, ELSE discard.

For servers/games you have to create:

1. A manual entry in the NAT table (aka IP forwarding)
                * Tell the device that incoming traffic using TCP/UDP port XXX on the external interface is to forwarded to a host on the trusted network (NAT function)
                2. A manual entry in your firewall rules
                * Tell the device that incoming traffic using TCP/UDP port XXX on the external interface is permitted (firewall function)

For two firewall/NAT devices all this needs to be done twice! This is not recommended!

Thanks... if I read this right then allowing the traffic is OK...on an off topic I also de-installed IPv6 to return to v4... (I was bored & percieved IPv6 to be slow) after the reboot I received this alert from Nortons...

"Rule "Default Block Bla Trojan horse" blocked (HOME111(172.16.0.1),1042).
                Inbound UDP packet.
                Local address,service is (localhost,1042).
                Remote address,service is (HOME111(172.16.0.1),1042).
                Process name is "N/A"."

This is what sparked my paranoia... 172.16.0.1 is registered to :

OrgName: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
                OrgID: IANA
                Address: 4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
                City: Marina del Rey
                StateProv: CA
                PostalCode: 90292-6695

why would the IANA be wanting to put a trojan onto my PC? or have I read the alert wrong?

Comment

IANA 172.16.x.x

172.16 is reserved (by IANA) for private networks. IANA did not send you anything.

That packet could have been send by anyone (spoofed) or be part of normal comms with your router or dns/dhcp servers. Don't know what 1042 is used for, might also be dynamicly allocated by Windows. Don't worry about it, if you set up a real firewall you will see 100, 1000 or more scans each day.

Comment

Working...
                  X