• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speedtest.net

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedtest.net

How accurate is this?

I mean my router is showing connected at 5265kbps but when I run a speed test via the above, it shows 80.35MB/s

So doesnt seem right to me. Running the test a couple of times gives broadly similar results.

Im on broadband via copper cable about 2km from the exchange.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Based on your results I'd say the margin for error is +/- 1500%.

For me it says 16.5Mb, and my router connects at 19Mb, so that's about right. Your results is clearly cobblers.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

My router says it's connected around the 6 meg mark most of the time.

I never get more than 2.5 from speedtest on the iMac, so either it's bollocks or something very strange is using my bandwidth...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Just done it from work -

http://www.speedtest.net/result/726419650.png

I'm gonna get me some of that at home...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Router shows the line speed, which is not the same as the actual download speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Router shows the line speed, which is not the same as the actual download speed.
            Did you migrate with adsl24 from enta to murphx? My 'speed' has gone down a little since I migrated.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Is it the line speed to the exchange?

So the exchange could be completely saturated and you still get crappy download speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                How accurate is this?

I mean my router ... blah blah blah

some geeky stuff, tissues, blah blah blah

....from the exchange.
                WHS
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  How accurate is this?

I mean my router is showing connected at 5265kbps but when I run a speed test via the above, it shows 80.35MB/s

So doesnt seem right to me. Running the test a couple of times gives broadly similar results.

Im on broadband via copper cable about 2km from the exchange.
                  Does the same for me sometimes, never used. Used to be a good site but know its just not reliable.

Comment

Gives me a seemingly accurate result every time. 8Mb max, in practice about 6.5Mb down.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X