• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows VM licensing/registering issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows VM licensing/registering issue

I am using a Windows VM to test a software solution; the VM is a Win 7 professional 32 bit, was built on a 32 bit XP laptop and worked fine on that and a Windows 7 32 bit desktop, but now I have upgraded the desktop to Win 7 ultimate 64 bit (from the Action Pack), when I fire the VM up I get all sorts of errors telling me that it isn't licensed and that I should re-enter the license key or register it online (the VM doesn't have internet access), otherwise MS will cut me off with a shilling and murder my first born. It still works ok on the XP box.

I assume that if I re-register by phone this will be another tick on the number of licenses from the MAP and I am running low now (will need to store a few versions of the system on VMs so the MAP offers v.good value for me), I have tried speaking to Microsoft, they are very friendly and enthusiatic, but not entirely helpful, was wondering if anyone here might have any ideas as to why this happens, and what I can do about it without using another license?

Which VM software?

I'm guessing this is to do with the virtual hardware being presented to the guest being different on a 64-bit host than a 32-bit host, and so Windows sees it as a new system. Reinstalling the guest OS might sort it out.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's the Microsoft VM software, downloaded as and executable/service for XP but embedded in Win 7 of course.

Not sure whether reinstalling the guest will be of benefit - I would rather put up with the rude messages on the 64 bit box than risk breaking it on the old 32 bit XP machine!

R

Comment

Well there you go. The Windows 7 version is obviously different from the old Virtual PC for XP.

I use Virtual Box. The VMs I initially set up in XP work exactly the same in Windows 7 x64, and even had them running under Linux until I gave up on Linux.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
        X