• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RAID6 Vs RAID5 + HotSpare?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAID6 Vs RAID5 + HotSpare?

I am getting poor read performance from a File and print server that I am rolling out for a client.

Dell Power Edge R610 with PERC 6/i RAID controller (256Mb cache) CPU 8 core L5530 @ 2.4Ghz, 6x SATAII 2.5" 7.2K hot swap drives

RAID set to write back and non read (seems even slower if I enable read ahead?)

With 5 disk RAID5 + 1 Hot disk array I get 150 read / 312 Write (Mbs)
    with 6 Disk RAID6 array I get 98 read / 135 write.

Thing is!
    On my humble home server (Adaptec 5504z with 4 SATAII 3.5 disks)
    I get 340 read / 290 write.

Overall the dell is performing pants!

Is it just to PERC 6/I controller or am I missing a trick

support call to Dell (groan - wipe out 2 hours) on Monday.

Suggestions ....
    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Originally posted by wxman View Post
    Suggestions ....
    Try Areca RAID controllers...

AFAIK RAID 6 required pretty powerful processors on RAID cards, so just because controller says it supports it does not mean it will do it quickly.

Who the heck are PERC? It is some Dell branded low end controller or something? It could be the disk you know, we mainly use 3.5'', rather than 2.5''.

Comment

PERC is Dells own brand RAID contoller - not sure of the actual chip set but her it is http://search.dell.co.uk/1/2/14084-d...ctors-kit.html

The Dell R610 server is a 1U rack mount - hence the 2.5" disks

I am on the server now (remote desktop) so I am limited as to what I can do.

Truth is - this server cost £4K while my home server was £1K (based on a desktop PC if you can belive that)

I might just throw a high end Adaptc raid at it to see what happens

Comment

For file and print wouldn't a simple mirror be more suitable?

Comment

I'd be looking at the RAID controller as the problem. Any chance of being able to change it even on a temp basis to test?
          Me, me, me...

Comment

stek

Problem I have is that this server is business critical - therefore I went for an RAID 5 + hot spare or even RAID6 array - both gave duff performance.

However all the above is a mute point - disk 3 has failed in the array AGAIN RIGHT NOW

FYI Dell replaced disk 3 which went suspect today under warrently.

As of 22:15 Friday night Dell UK warrenty support is not "Open" again until Monday 09:00am WTF

Clients Del Poweredge server R610 (£4K in price) is therefore DOA and my only recomandation to the client is to postpone this weekends server install until the hardware is proven.

FYI Client has ALWAYS purchased IBM branded servers - But I recomended Dell at 2/3 the price of IAB as the first of many server refreshes. (I have 20+ servers to replace / virutal)

Client's I.T. muppets (if is is not IBM then it is not worth shagging attitude) are loving this

Comment

stek

Problem I have is that this server is business critical - therefore I went for an RAID 5 + hot spare or even RAID6 array - both gave duff performance.

However all the above is a mute point - disk 3 has failed in the array AGAIN RIGHT NOW

FYI Dell replaced disk 3 which went suspect today under warrently.

As of 22:15 Friday night Dell UK warrenty support is not "Open" again until Monday 09:00am WTF

Clients Del Poweredge server R610 (£4K in price) is therefore DOA and my only recomandation to the client is to postpone this weekends server install until the hardware is proven.

FYI Client has ALWAYS purchased IBM branded servers - But I recomended Dell at 2/3 the price of IAB as the first of many server refreshes. (I have 20+ servers to replace / virutal)

Client's I.T. muppets (if is is not IBM then it is not worth shagging attitude) are loving this
              Think I would have gone for simple mirror, cron'd detach, backup the detached mirror, reattach if only a file/print, raid 5 really is for slow writes, fast reads for most DB's and LDAP in my view - not file and print. (assuming Unix-based OS for cron etc)

I might be biased but I'd always go Sun/IBM/HP for this sort of thing, I've seen Dell fall over spectacularly before, more with SAN's but still an über-fük....

Sun etc, really, one throat to choke, my mantra never let me down. Dell are for PC's and lappies...

And u can ring Sun Support 24/7...

Comment

And if disk3 failed why didn't the hot-swap engage?

Comment

PERC is Dells own brand RAID contoller
                  That's white label - "own brand" means tulip, who actually created it? My bet would be on cheap low end RAID supplier ...

Comment

If you don't need masses of disk storage I'd look into SSD, particularly the Intel X25-E or OCZ Vertex drives (current market leaders performance wise afaik), especially if read performance is more important than write.

SSD access times and IOPS are untouchable by mechanical drives regardless of the raid config and also cuts out all the ballaches associated with RAID, though you can RAID SSDs too if you want to go extreme.

Many other benefits of SSD over mechanical too: lower power usage (every watt counts in a rackmount server), cooler, silent (loving the OCZ Vertex in my PC ), more reliable (no moving parts), smaller (2.5").

Only downside at the moment is lack of storage capacity and price per GB. They (or a similar solid state alternative) are the future, but why wait.

http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/12/myspace-ssd
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X