• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multiple domain mail hosting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple domain mail hosting

My own mail server that i've run for years is really doing my swede in and needs to go asap.

Know this has been discussed before but what is the best business mail solution (hosted as a service, don't want any mail stuff on any of my boxes any more)?

Problem is i have say 15 domains i receive mail for, all need to be kept separate as some of them are owned by clients who currently access my own webmail system to get their mail.

Given none of these clients pay for me hosting their mail (was part of the web design package they paid me for), it needs to be a solution where i can add additional domains without cost.

Is Google apps the way to go and anyone know how this'd work given i need multiple domains?

Ta.

Google app's, while good, will cost you about $50 a year per mail box, so doubt you want that

Are you looking for a PoP solution or IMAP (which basiclly means storeing their email for them)

If PoP will do any host that allows you to host multiple domains will do (they are dime a dozen, if you are willing to deal with US companys you can get it real cheap too). If IMAP you are looking at spending quite a bit of money

Given none of these clients pay for me hosting their mail (was part of the web design package they paid me for),
    Forever?!?!?!

Comment

Have a look at http://www.fastmail.co.uk/

You'll need a Personal Enhanced account as a minimum which is $40 per year and can host up to 50 domains.

Cheers,
      JB

Comment

Google Apps is free for the standard edition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Apps

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post

Given none of these clients pay for me hosting their mail (was part of the web design package they paid me for), it needs to be a solution where i can add additional domains without cost.

Is Google apps the way to go and anyone know how this'd work given i need multiple domains?

Ta.
          I manage to get myco's mail hosted with google for free. I expect there is a limit on how many accounts I can have with the one domain.

Edit: Looked it up - it's 50.
          Last edited by Moscow Mule; 27 January 2010, 12:12.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
            Forever?!?!?!
            Theoretically yes, because it doesn't cost me anything, i lease a couple of datacenter servers both with a mail server. This ran fine for years as it was pretty much 0 maintenance.

Its hassle that is making me rethink this though as a couple of clients are causing a real headache. One seems to think sending newsletters to his entire customer database every couple of days is a good idea (i managed to sort the blacklisting of my server out in the end) and the other is the straw that broke the proverbial.

One client is constantly on about how my mail system is 'broken' again, every time it turns out she's misspelled an address but every time i get a copy of the bounceback from her saying its broken AGAIN and have to point out that 'Rchard' maybe has an 'i' in it? This is fcking constant.

Best one this week is i got another 'broken AGAIN!!!!' mail, a client had been mailing her and kept getting bouncebacks, she forwarded me one of the NDR's he'd since sent her and her domain is someco-uk.co.uk, he'd sent mails to someco.co.uk.

Me: He's sent to the wrong domain, he's used someco.co.uk, its missed the -uk
            Her: Right, ok, well i could do with getting mail to myname.someco.co.uk as well in the future in case anyone else does that as its easy to get wrong
            Me: Do you own the someco domain? (knowing she doesn't, it was the name we'd tried to get for her originally)
            Her: Dont know
            Me: Well you dont, you cant just receive mail for any domain
            Her: Well, this is quite important as i can potentially miss emails, there must be a way to do this
            Me: ..........dont know what to suggest but sorry, it cant be done, we dont have the domain and as they are a vague competitor i'm pretty sure they wont help you out.

Discussion went on but basic gist was i was being unhelpful and she was sick of the amount her mail was broken (misspelled!). Then she pulled the "i've got a friend who works in computers so i'm going to check this with him!". I left the conversation a broken man

Anyhow rant over but it really annoyed me that she's been getting a good system for a long time for effectively nowt and all i get is tulip.

As per the link above i'd actually been looking at fastmail and another one fusemail and both of them look pretty good. Just need to get rid of my client mailboxes now as believe me, being a mail helpdesk when it isn't something you are really interested in (or getting paid for!) is no fun.
            Last edited by Durbs; 27 January 2010, 12:26.

Comment

Just tell her it's going to cost upwards of £3k to buy the domain and (obviously) she has to pay for a whole new website & mail hosting.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
              X