• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IIs 7.0

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIs 7.0

I am trying to migrate an application that has been running happily as an asp in IIS 6 (and I think 5 before that) to windows 7 and IIS 7

Basically the application is and asp (to grab user and server credentials) which opens a frameset, one of the pages in the frame talks to a third party dll via xmlhttp with the logged on user's name to get info relative to that user.

the code looks a bit like this (although it's vb script not php!)

PHP Code:
    Set tpXml CreateObject("Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP")
    'open the connection
    tpXml.open "POST", URL, False 
    and I am getting "access denied" at the tpXml.open line ( )

Now MS in their wisdom have made it even harder to see who is authenticating as what, but as far as I can see, I have told the calling page to accept anonymous logins (as the new iusr) and i have enabled asp.impersonation as the authenticated user.

If I set the advanced settings of the application folder to have physical path credentials of a specific user, a test page returning stTest where

PHP Code:
    stTest=CStr(System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name.ToString()) 
    gives the ID of that specific user, however if I set the physcial path credentials to authenticated user it just returns "NT" - presumably that's the credential that my app is passing to request details? why isn't is passing my current logon? WTF is "NT" anyway?

If this makes sense to anyone and they have any useful advice that can stop me tearing out my remaining few hairs, I would be eternally grateful.

I'm not a coder, but IIS 7 is much more locked down in a standard config. Your admin will probably need to add the IIS compatibility modeule as well as Anonymous login (I think) I think there are also a few other modules to add for authentication scenarios

Comment

Thanks JoJo,

never heard of the IIS compatability module, I shall consult Dr Google

Unfortunately I am Judge and Executioner with this one - there is no admin!

R

Comment

For the benefit of anyone reading this in the future, I have finally got to the bottom of this "Access Denied error"

with Windows 7/IIS/asp.net the old "Request.ServerVariables("LOCAL_ADDR")" appears to have disappeared so my calling application was getting "://" instead of "mypcname" so it was trying to build the URL "http://:///mywebsite.htm" instead of "http://mypcname/mywebsite.htm", which of course doesn't exist!!!!!

why oh why oh why oh WHY does the error say "access denied" and not "file not found"???

simply using "Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME")" seems to have knocked it all back into shape.

Grumble, grumble. moan, grumble...

Comment

Working...
        X