• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Portable video player

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable video player

My 4GB Archos 605 is about to expire (battery won't hold a charge) so I'm in the market for a replacement. To be honest it needs to have pretty much the same features i.e.

* 4.3" or larger screen
    * drag and drop playability (no format conversions required - a MUST!)
    * expandable memory (via SD etc) or at least 16GB
    * pocketable i.e. not the Archos 7 range/size
    * reasonable price, say < £200 (again rules out the Archos 5 range)

Any recommendations?

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    My 4GB Archos 605 is about to expire (battery won't hold a charge) so I'm in the market for a replacement. To be honest it needs to have pretty much the same features i.e.

* 4.3" or larger screen
    * drag and drop playability (no format conversions required - a MUST!)
    * expandable memory (via SD etc) or at least 16GB
    * pocketable i.e. not the Archos 7 range/size
    * reasonable price, say < £200 (again rules out the Archos 5 range)

Any recommendations?
    As you have mentioned the Archos 5, and only excluded it because of price, I am assuming it meets all your other requirements - sorry, couldn't be arsed to check.

Anyway, CDiscount currently have them reduced.

Comment

Thanks but they are still a bit pricey and you have to pay extra for almost everything. Plus I'd prefer solid state rather than hard drive.

I'm currently considering the Cowon S9 32Gb. These are $400 AUS right now so < £200. Anyone got one?

Comment

Buy a new battery?

Comment

Get netbook - £300 for good one, can do video among many other things.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Get netbook - £300 for good one, can do video among many other things.
            Have you tried watching video on a netbook?

Comment

Not exactly pocket size either!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Buy a new battery?
                Nah, even new the battery life was poor. Its an opportunity to upgrade.

Comment

drag and drop playability (no format conversions required - a MUST!)

To be honest I don't see that as being an issue. I use format factory and that seems to be able to cope with converting anything into anything (plus it's free). All you have to do is fill the list of files to convert an it ploughs through the them. Also it has the settings for most of the poular devices preloaded.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Its not about cost or the ability to do the conversion its about time and convenience. For me its a deal breaker.

So no-one got any opinions on the Cowon?

UPDATE:

Whilst researching the Cowon (and the O2 now seems a better bet for video than the S9) I came across this little marvel.

It does full 1080p playback with HDMI out, 16GB built in with a micro SD slot. Supports playback of just about everything. Cost is just over $200 AUD!

Some more pictures and link to video review (not in English) here
                    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    drag and drop playability (no format conversions required - a MUST!)

To be honest I don't see that as being an issue. I use format factory and that seems to be able to cope with converting anything into anything (plus it's free). All you have to do is fill the list of files to convert an it ploughs through the them. Also it has the settings for most of the poular devices preloaded.
                    Last edited by gadgetman; 27 December 2009, 12:33.

Comment

Working...
                    X