• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cool gadget

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool gadget

Just encounered one of these in a Melbourne hotel last week, it's one of the coolest things I've seen.

It has motors that pull the bread into the body of the mechanism and has a button labelled "Lift & Look" which pops up the toast for a peak then pulls it back in again and another called "A Bit More" which does as it suggests.

Are these out in Britain?

Back around 1990 my Senior Programmer said to me "... you just wait and see. They'll be putting microprocessors into toasters next."

My reaction: "Toasters? WTF for, FFS?"

"Oh, people will think it adds value and buy them."

"But it's just a f***ing toaster! WTF is the point of over-engineering a f***ing toaster, FFS? And WTF would buy one? Are people mad???"

He is now the IT Director for a multi-national. I'm sat on my arse at home. Go figure.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I've got a toaster that claims to be microprocessor controlled.

It might make a difference for sliced bread straight out of the freezer, but I don't buy that any more.

I did have a VW back in 1980 which used a microprocessor for the windscreen wipers. I found a bug in it too - with certain timing you could get the thing confused. I wasn't really impressed.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

i used to have one of these 'lift & look' gadgets. they're pretty common here, lots of manufacturers, but the maintenance costs were high and they were never very dependable.

linky

<ducks>

Comment

Whatever happened to "everything will have Bluetooth"?

Comment

I want one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-oQ--U-WaQ&feature=fvw

190mph
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post

South Wales Echo

Mystery crater discovered in Brighton beach
              Locals report sightings of a meteorite.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Maecenas pellentesque commodo orci eu faucibus. Nunc pellentesque hendrerit dapibus. Nunc eu purus turpis, vel facilisis risus.

Whoosh!
              Morbi non massa sit amet est laoreet vulputate vel at lorem. Etiam dictum egestas mi, ac placerat leo semper id. Curabitur eros massa, egestas ut porttitor sit amet, placerat quis nibh. Nullam ultricies cursus purus a molestie. Mauris elit mi, varius id molestie vitae, malesuada eget magna.

"Foooooook meeeeee!"
              Nunc diam urna, condimentum eget vulputate vel, aliquam ut massa. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Nullam ac eleifend mi.

Splat!
              Curabitur eu risus risus. Maecenas non felis sapien. Nam sed diam elit, quis tristique arcu. Integer at massa lectus. Aliquam erat volutpat. Sed id turpis eros, imperdiet molestie tortor. Nullam quis pharetra tortor. Donec augue mi, facilisis id tincidunt malesuada, rhoncus sed diam.

Local Hydro Engineer Disappeared
              Local man, Diver, missing since before Xmas

Nunc pellentesque hendrerit dapibus. Nunc eu purus turpis, vel facilisis risus. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Maecenas pellentesque commodo orci eu faucibus.

"He went out to the garage for a while and I haven't seen him since"
              Curabitur eu risus risus. Maecenas non felis sapien. Nam sed diam elit, quis tristique arcu. Integer at massa lectus. Aliquam erat volutpat. Sed id turpis eros, imperdiet molestie tortor. Nullam quis pharetra tortor. Donec augue mi, facilisis id tincidunt malesuada, rhoncus sed diam.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

My wife makes my toast...........
                  Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Working...
                  X