• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Acronis True Image

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acronis True Image

There were a few people here who said they were using this.

I have mine backing up to a NAS, and I keep running out of disk space! It's a 500GB NAS, and I've set the back up consolidate when it reaches 200GB, but somehow it gets itself in a twist, and usually when I'm not looking.

Yesterday I realised it hadn't done any backups for 10 days. On the NAS was 460GB worth of backups, half of which had GUID like extensions (this is something to do with the consolidate I think).

After faffing for ages, I couldn't find any way to get it to continue, so I deleted all the suffixed backup files and the last couple in the hope that the incremental process would figure it out and do a new incremental backup starting from the last successful one. But no. It started backing up to the wrong place (not sure how that happened), and then wouldn't let me choose the right place. Everything I did made the GUI come up with an error message box with just the filename and no explanation.

In the end I deleted the job, and started afresh.

Anyone else using it in this way, and does it work?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Do you have the latest verison?
    I can`t really help. I use it for manual backups only and it works great for that. However, I also use batch files and a command line compression tool to do my own auto backups along with automatic deletion of backup files > x days old. So I backup everything every day or so but manage disk space usage by deleting any backups older than x days. I now only use acronis for backing up the OS which sits on it`s own partitiion anyway (away from my data).

Do you need all of the backup files on the NAS? If not, use a DOS batch file invoked from Windows scheduler before the Acronis backup process kicks off to delete any backup files greater than x days, which should allow Acronis to continue its business
    Last edited by SuperZ; 19 December 2009, 23:32.

Comment

Ta. I think it's the latest version. I downloaded the latest, and then downloaded the patch that was necessary to make it work properly. That didn't instill much confidence.

It's an incremental backup, so I obviously can't just go deleting the oldest. If it keeps doing this I guess I'll have to switch to full backups and something like a script to clean up after it.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
      X