• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

domain names

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

domain names

How long is the standard agreement when puchasing a domain name? Is it 2 years? That's what I seem to be seeing on most adverts.

What happens if you don't renew? Is it that you just lose the right to use the domain and potentially someone else can take it or is it something more sinister such as the domain being blocked?

TIA

you just lose the right to use the domain and potentially someone else can take

Comment

The sellers always default to ( and advertise ) 2 years but you can get them for between 1 and 5.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        The sellers always default to ( and advertise ) 2 years but you can get them for between 1 and 5.
        Not with .co.uk - they are set at 2 year intervals.
        my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Thanks for the reponses. I assume that is domain hosting is through an ISP they will keep up the domain registration until I advise them otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
            Thanks for the reponses. I assume that is domain hosting is through an ISP they will keep up the domain registration until I advise them otherwise.
            Not sure about that. I get reminders whenever mine need renewing and it is my responsibility to renew.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
              Not sure about that. I get reminders whenever mine need renewing and it is my responsibility to renew.
              Most will remind you of it. I guess some might do it on a direct debit auto-renewal basis. Powweb (who I use for my hosting) have an auto-renewal for the hosting, but I can cancel it at the end of the year.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X