• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Noddy ICS setup doing my head in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noddy ICS setup doing my head in

Anyone shared a BTinternet broadband connection across a small wired home network (through a hub)?

This was one of those 'ten minute' jobs that's really started to drive me nuts.
    I've followed a number of guides (google 'share broadband connection') but can't seem to get internet access from the client.
    So far I've set up a broadband connection on my old pc (now the host).
    Set it to share its internet connection via ICS.
    Configured the client (new pc) to DHCP.
    I can share files between the two machines, can see the shared network connection from the client, just can't persuade IE to use it.
    Both pcs are Win xp pro.

BTW, I have a firewall on the host, do I need to run one on the client as well?

Think I'll go and pull the legs off something.......
    RS

Originally posted by RSoles
    Anyone shared a BTinternet broadband connection across a small wired home network (through a hub)?

This was one of those 'ten minute' jobs that's really started to drive me nuts.
    I've followed a number of guides (google 'share broadband connection') but can't seem to get internet access from the client.
    So far I've set up a broadband connection on my old pc (now the host).
    Set it to share its internet connection via ICS.
    Configured the client (new pc) to DHCP.
    I can share files between the two machines, can see the shared network connection from the client, just can't persuade IE to use it.
    Both pcs are Win xp pro.

BTW, I have a firewall on the host, do I need to run one on the client as well?

Think I'll go and pull the legs off something.......
    RS
    Firewall?
    Forget the firewall for the time being - that's the last thing you need to think about at this stage.
    Can you ping the public side of your router from the PC that is unable to access the internet?

Comment

Ah, forgot to mention, it's a USB ADSL modem, no router.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles
        Ah, forgot to mention, it's a USB ADSL modem, no router.
        Can the problem PC ping the public side - IP wise?

Comment

Originally posted by Chessplayer
          Can the problem PC ping the public side - IP wise?
          Ah maybe I am the noddy.

ping the public side, the BTinternet servers you mean?
          I could try if I knew their addresses.

Comment

Ics

It's almost definitely the firewall. Disable that and check again - and remember to disable it every time you reboot!

I had the same issues during a short period between modem/routers when using a USB modem - every time I rebooted it reset the firewall (Kerio) to on and all the other machines lost access!

Comment

Folks, I should have said that this stuff isn't too urgent, so don't waste
              too much time on it. I err, have a bit of free time on my hands, know what I mean?

Anyway, interesting development, I ran ethereal on the host which
              shows the client making DNS requests to a bt server, and proper responses.
              Only DNS by the way, no IP traffic.

Anyway, I got the IP address of a bt server from there and can ping it from both the host and the client.
              Feel I'm 'sooooo close'

RS

Comment

IF you are using the latest free Zone Alarm edition. then this does not support ICS. I don't know whether it is a bug or on purpose. but there are a lot of disgruntled posts on the Zone alarm forums!

It took me a while to sort out my problem with ICS. I could network but no ICS until I switched of Zone alarm.

Comment

Thanks TD et al,

This seems to be the problem, Zonealarm is just not up to acting
                  as a gateway.

I'd almost guessed it was something like this as I could see DNS requests coming from the client through the host to the network, and responses coming back from the network to the host but then being dropped.

I'd taken the firewall off all 'internal' links, but didn't like the
                  idea of 'going commando' on the external.

So, anyone know of a descent free firewall which supports ICS?
                  Windows FW?

cheers again.
                  RS

[edit] And Yippee! just got a new contract for Jan, can put this bench away for a while....
                  Last edited by RSoles; 1 December 2005, 17:29.

Comment

Working...
                  X