• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Connecting laptop to external display via HDMI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting laptop to external display via HDMI

Anyone connect their laptop to an external display via a HDMI connection?

I've just connected mine and after a bit of fiddling about managed to get the image to appear.

However, feel the image quality (sharpness) could be better.

Haven't played too much with settings to improve this but after a quick look not sure if this is going to be possible.

Am I correct in thinking it will depend on the maximum resolution (1680 x 1050) of my external display or is there some other setting I need to be aware of as it is connected via a HDMI port?

If it's HDMI the TV is going to expect a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

If the laptop cannot generate this native resolution, the TV is going to scale the image and it will look tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      If it's HDMI the TV is going to expect a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

If the laptop cannot generate this native resolution, the TV is going to scale the image and it will look tulip.
      Have played around quite a bit and managed to significantly improve the image.

The NVidia Control Panel software is a pain in the @rse!

When I logged onto the laptop this morning, it provided me with additional resolution settings that weren't there yesterday.

After playing around with the settings today and re-booting, those additional settings no longer appear in the NVidia Control Panel (fortunately, it has retained what I had set them to).

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        Anyone connect their laptop to an external display via a HDMI connection?

I've just connected mine and after a bit of fiddling about managed to get the image to appear.

However, feel the image quality (sharpness) could be better.

Haven't played too much with settings to improve this but after a quick look not sure if this is going to be possible.

Am I correct in thinking it will depend on the maximum resolution (1680 x 1050) of my external display or is there some other setting I need to be aware of as it is connected via a HDMI port?

Run my telly from lappy without problems. In fact it was just a case of plugging it in and it worked so can't even tell what the settings are. Movies, etc. run fine.

Telly is Samsung 42" plasma - series 5 or 6 seems to ring a bell.

Laptop is Dell XPS1330 - with the intel graphics (not the NVidia one) with HDMI out.

Beware though other people have reported that it is common for this laptop to fry itself - although, touch wood, mine has not.

Comment

Working...
        X