• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to stop Windows writing to 2nd hard drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
    I do this also but do not seem to get a problem.
    I am using Windows XP and clone C: to D: using Acronis True Copy.
    I do however unplug the internal disk cable after the copy and checking that the system boots off the new image. Then plug back in C: drive.
    You got it in one! Exactly my strategy. Also using Acronis. But I wasn't unplugging the cable, so the D: drive was still visible when Windows reboots. Windows informs me that "your configuration has changed" and asks for another reboot. Then it's happy. I think it's at that point it's written its "signature" to the disk thereby buggering the whole thing up.

New strategy (subject to test) is to use Acronis Backup to drive D: and to periodically clone C: to a drive connected by USB which I can easily unplug.

Originally posted by VectraMan
    Can you disable the drive in Windows?

Just looking at Device Manager (in Windows 7 - so YMMV), and I can right click on the different ATA channels and disable them.
    (a) Nice idea - I've been looking for a way to tell Windows to ignore the drive
    (b) But I don't see that facility
    (c) I think it'd be too late, Windows seems pretty eager to write a signature to the drive.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
    X