• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How come viruses work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    The real problem is that windows and windows programs are constantly doing whatever they feel like. If all these damn background tasks and updaters did not keep chugging away all the time it would be easier to notice anything unusual. Most of it seems completely unecessary.
    I don't think that's necessarily a problem, but it is a major reason why things slow down. Java, Adobe Acrobat, God knows what else, all these things like to install updates these days. Run msconfig, and turn them all off.

I'd like reserved areas of memory and hard disc that could only be write accessed if I flipped a switch. One could then check the common areas thoroughly before allowing use.
    Exactly what UAC does in Vista/W7.

It's perfectly possible to setup an XP with the user (and any software run directly or indirectly by the user) blocked from accessing anything outside of his own Documents & Settings folder.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
    X