• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Server 2003 Purchase

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Server 2003 Purchase

Where is the best (cheapest & legal) place to buy a copy of Windows Server 2003. I would like to install some trial software on one PC and I only have copies of XP, Vista and Windows 7. The software does work on Vista but having never used Vista before and it being pants I would prefer to install on something looking like XP.

Any ideas anyone?
    I will require the CD/DVD and a working / legal license.
    I would usually try ebay but I would prefer to receive a copy that will definitely work and be legal.

If you only want to trial it for 120 days try here.

Linky
    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Hi Thanks for the reply. The free trial is a good idea and would be great if it worked but I have already tried that option and failed due to not receiving an email to enable me to download the software. I think that Microsoft is pants.

I think that buying a physical copy without any nonsense would be the best solution.

Does anyone know the best place to buy a copy of Windows Server 2003 apart from eBay?

Thanks

Comment

Get the MS Action Pack subscription £199 + VAT PA for everything you could possibly want?

Linky

Comment

Thanks. I have a Microsoft Action Pack subscription and have copies of Vista and Windows 7 a plenty but no copies of Server 2003.

Comment

I do have a copy of Windows Server 2003 Web addition. Can I use this as Windows Server 2003 or is it just a Web server and not the OS?

Comment

You can use the Web Edition. The licence says it must only be used as a web server and no applications are to be installed.

SQL Server install will not allow you to install it on Web Edition. Other software seems to install okay.

Comment

Buy Windows XP 64-bit Pro OEM - it is the same code base as Windows 2003 Server. This should work provided you use software that is not intentionally crippled to require "Server OS".

Windows 2003 Server was on Action Pack before, I think you should still be entitled to it or not?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Windows 2003 Server was on Action Pack before, I think you should still be entitled to it or not?
                  Windows Server 2008 is on the action pack definately. Why doesn't the OP use that?

Comment

Thanks all that replied.
                    Windows Server 2008 is not supported for this software (LANDesk) as the server, only for the client.

I have found this page that lets me download a Trial copy of Windows Server 2003. I'll give that a try.
                    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...linstruct.mspx

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X