• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't use ISP's SMTP Server while travelling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't use ISP's SMTP Server while travelling

Anyone know a way around this problem other than using Webmail?

I can only use my ISP's smtp server to send mail when I'm logged in at home, if I'm travelling & am using another ISP I can't send via outlook, I have to use webmail which I despise because it's really easy to get out of sync & lose stuff. Do any ISPs allow this ? Or perhaps there's some utlility you can use as a workaround?

Your ISP must be only allowing emails to be sent by people who have IP addresses from their own network, that's sensible anti-spam feature. Best thing is to have your own domain with SMTP server.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      if I'm travelling & am using another ISP I can't send via outlook
      Use the other ISPs SMTP server.

Or if you use GMail you can use their SMTP server from anywhere.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Use the other ISPs SMTP server.
        Tried that but it wouldn't let me send as myname@myISPdomain.

Comment

You may need a service like these guys http://www.smtp2go.com/?hop=pbarlow1

But what about the ISP you use on the road, can you not use their SMTP server?
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Put SMTP server on your PC and mail via it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Your ISP must be only allowing emails to be sent by people who have IP addresses from their own network, that's sensible anti-spam feature. Best thing is to have your own domain with SMTP server.
              WHS. Pick a web hosting service which also offers the ability to run your own mail services, from a supplier who isn't your home ISP. That way you are setting up an environment which isn't restricted to your home ISP's network.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

You can use the temporary ISPs SMTP server, providing you can get a login and password for it. I know someone who regularly does this.

You can (probably) use you own ISP's SMTP server if you provide the correct login and password for that (while you are on their network, they probably don't ask for a login and password, when you're off their network, you need to provide SMTP authentication, which you can do in Outlook).

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  WHS. Pick a web hosting service which also offers the ability to run your own mail services, from a supplier who isn't your home ISP. That way you are setting up an environment which isn't restricted to your home ISP's network.

Pimp \o/

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                    Pimp \o/
                    Eh?

It's simply a lesson I learned many years ago. If you go with internet access plus hosting from one ISP it means they can tie you in to using their network for everything. If you use a different provider for hosting services they are by default going to allow access from outside their network.

It's simple matter of not having all your eggs in one basket.

I also hold my own domains myself (direct with the registrar) rather than letting an ISP get their sticky mitts on them. If a dispute arises with my hosting provider I can point my domains elsewhere without asking anyone's permission.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X