• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uddi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uddi

Anyone used it?, and by that I mean not simply clicking on 'Add Web Reference' in .NET and pointing it at a UDDI server, but actually setting up your own UDDI registery/database.

I'm wondering if there's a benefit but looking at it at the moment I can't see many gains for the extra effort...

Edit: thats UDDI but apparently you can't have all caps in the title!

Nope, in 3 years of developing webservices with C#, I have never even encountered a UDDI server (perhaps your local machine counts as one if someone wants to be pedantic). Sometimes we had a common Dev server that we had to specify a reference too, and make it dynamic and have a different config file for development, testing and production, but that was as far as it got.

My understanding is that UDDI servers are not commonly used. There are some websites that offer such services for feeds etc, but ive never worked at a company that bothered with that for internal services.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

"Nope, in 3 years of developing webservices with C#, I have never even encountered a UDDI server"

Same here.

Reason I asked was that I was describing something I'd built to someone today and they asked the question "why didn't you use UDDI?", and...yeah, b*ggered if I could give an answer. But looking at it now it does seems to do much the same thing.

"Sometimes we had a common Dev server that we had to specify a reference too, and make it dynamic and have a different config file for development, testing and production"

Tip: Have a look at custom config sections...

Comment

JB a good tip - we did eventually get round to that - took us a while though!

Doh!
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I got a mate called Uddi

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY
            I got a mate called Uddi
            Its Uddi el Isdat.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Very good Gunman!

Comment

Working...
              X