• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

win 7 64 bit & ms dev environment.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

win 7 64 bit & ms dev environment.

has anyone installed the 64-bit version and found any issues with a "typical" ms environment? eg vs, sql server, vss, visio, etc.

equally, was there any noticeable performance benefit in having the 64-bit version, memory factors apart?

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
    has anyone installed the 64-bit version and found any issues with a "typical" ms environment? eg vs, sql server, vss, visio, etc.

equally, was there any noticeable performance benefit in having the 64-bit version, memory factors apart?
    I have an MS Dev environment running on Windows 7 64-bit. The only issues I recall were having to install a few extra patches for SQL Server (which it warns you about anyway), but that was down to Windows 7 itself rather than it being a 64-bit platform.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

thanks vf, 64-bit it is then

Comment

Yea man,

Went from vista 32bit to Windows 7 64bit... VS/resharper/sql etc...no problems yet. :-)

The windows key + left or right is my favorite new hotkey in win7... expands the current window to the left/right...kinda like multi-monitor in a way..so you can have 2 windows on 1 screen...magic

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post

I'm running 64 bit on one of my machines and only issue i had was installing Visual Studio before SQL. VS put some SQL components on that my Action Pack version of SQL2008 64bit didn't like. Had to manually remove these before it allowed me to continue the install. No real bother though.

But whether thats 64 bit related, i dont know, but didn't run into the same thing on the 32bit laptop installation i'd done previously.

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
            Yea man,

Went from vista 32bit to Windows 7 64bit... VS/resharper/sql etc...no problems yet. :-)
            Ditto. A few niggles with some bits, but on the whole, well worthwhile.

Much better than Vista, or rather this is what Vista should have been in the first place.

Comment

Working...
            X