• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New career in IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might be good if the OP came back with some thoughts on the posts so far.

For my twopenceworth:

Sorry, forget it DVP.

Don't waste your time and money on trying to 'break into IT'.

Right now, there are loads of guys and gals out there with many years of expertise in a wide range of technical disciplines, who cannot get jobs/contracts to save their lives.

Even if you are something of an autodidact, self-taught (or class-taught) skills with specific software tools or programming languages amount to diddly-squat without commercial experience, in serious workplaces, to back it up.

If I was in your shoes, I'd look at training in technical trades (electrician, heating engineer etc.).

Sorry to by less than encouraging, but I'm being honest.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

A Masters will make you 40 plus and still with no experience, and it's not just

the skills that matter, there are many people are out there who have

more than enough skills and still don't get work

Comment

Working...
      X