• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need to learn C# over the weekend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to learn C# over the weekend

Got an interview for a gig next week and there seems to be some C# GUI work involved (it is mostly a java gig though). I have been told that they are OK with you learning on the job but I would like to go into the interview knowing something about the technology.

Is there a free developer version of visual studio one can download these days?

I'm mostly a java person and used to be VC++ developer yonks ago so I am confident I can nail the basics in a few hours. That's really all I would want to do.

Thanks.

Yes there are the express editions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
      Yes there are the express editions.
      cheers, downloading now.

Take it that the things that version contains are the things I would not need anyway?

Ill probably be happy to get a GUI showing stuff from a DB, few buttons, tree view.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        cheers, downloading now.

Take it that the things that version contains are the things I would not need anyway?

Ill probably be happy to get a GUI showing stuff from a DB, few buttons, tree view.
        WPF is all the rage. XML based with CS code behind, a la ASP.Net. Doddle to pick up and current.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Good luck!
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Don't think the express editions give WPF WCF etc. However there are now time limited preconfigured virtual machines you can download from MS. Might be a better bet.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              cheers, downloading now.

You could easily develop full applications with it.

It doesn't contain things like Installers and source control, but there's no way you'll get that far in a weekend

Comment

if they ask you anything too technical or beyond your weekend cram session, try screwing your face up, wafting a hand in their direction, and swinging you shoes up on the desk in a cavalier dismissal of such a "trivial" question. Should do the trick.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  if they ask you anything too technical or beyond your weekend cram session, try screwing your face up, wafting a hand in their direction, and swinging you shoes up on the desk in a cavalier dismissal of such a "trivial" question. Should do the trick.
                  Bad, bad SY01
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

If you want to impress, these are the things that for some reason always crop up in informal c# technical tests:

Access modifiers &c - they are a bit different from Java.
                    try/catch/finally - specifically the difference between throw; and throw(e);
                    Dispose() versus destructor
                    why/how to put assemblies in the GAC

Comment

Working...
                    X