• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Java Scripts help please !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java Scripts help please !!

Hi All,

I've a web site which has a form on it. The user fills in the form, prints it of and send it to us with their items. However I'd like to receive an email when a user clicks on the print form link so that I know they have filled in the form and I can expect their order.

The forms link is below

www.easyslidescanning.co.uk\order.html

Any help would be apreciated !!! I've tried adding a "post" and "mailto" but as I don't know javascript its not working !!!
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Have you condidered doing this server side? If you are using .net you could just use the System.Net.Mail classes to handle this for you in the button's on click event handler.

Comment

Lots of form processors here;

Linky

Why not go for a simple ecommerce solution, there are many ways to do this.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

If you don't actually need the form to submit somewhere then you can set the action attribute to "mailto:[email protected]" and the contents of the form will be emailed to that address. If you actually need the form to be processed then you'll need to do this server-side. There's not actually any javascript involved in this.

Comment

surely it must be as simple as adding a link - is that not the case, don't mind the solution as long as its free and does not mean complete re-engineering of the form.
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner View Post
            surely it must be as simple as adding a link - is that not the case, don't mind the solution as long as its free and does not mean complete re-engineering of the form.
            A mailto link won't just send an email silently in the background though. It opens your email client and creates a new email which you then send yourself. It's not a very slick solution to what you want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              A mailto link won't just send an email silently in the background though. It opens your email client and creates a new email which you then send yourself. It's not a very slick solution to what you want to do.
              mmm....

ok - what's the best way to do this, silently, so it does not open the clients email.

How about storing the forms on the web server ???

I'd be willing to pay someone to help with this, it can only be a few minutes work if they know what they are doing......just I do need to know this information....
              SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner View Post
                I'd be willing to pay someone to help with this, it can only be a few minutes work if they know what they are doing......just I do need to know this information....
                If you were just to hook up the form to a generic form processor (something like FormMail comes to mind but I know it's far from being the best choice these days), it would be only a couple of minutes work. The resulting email, however, wouldn't make an awful lot of sense to the business owner as it would just spit out the name and value of each field in the form in sequence.

What you ideally need is a bespoke script in something like ASP or PHP (depending upon your host) to read the fields from the form and write them into an email in a nicely formatted manner that roughly corresponds to the layout of the form and therefore makes sense to the reader. This will be 2-3 hours work but will pay dividends in the long term.

Comment

am I missing the point here, can't you send the form via sendmail.php ?

This would be very simple and easy to do.

Comment

is that an offer????

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                    If you were just to hook up the form to a generic form processor (something like FormMail comes to mind but I know it's far from being the best choice these days), it would be only a couple of minutes work. The resulting email, however, wouldn't make an awful lot of sense to the business owner as it would just spit out the name and value of each field in the form in sequence.

What you ideally need is a bespoke script in something like ASP or PHP (depending upon your host) to read the fields from the form and write them into an email in a nicely formatted manner that roughly corresponds to the layout of the form and therefore makes sense to the reader. This will be 2-3 hours work but will pay dividends in the long term.
                    SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Working...
                    X