• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Connecting my old desktop to a wireless Modem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting my old desktop to a wireless Modem

I want to be able to connect my old desktop to my wireless modem, I thought os buying a usb dogle, but I've heard that a hard wire connection gives better speed.

I've got a cable that plugs into my modem it's about 1cm wide, but the corresponding ports on my desktop are about 6-7 mm - does this mean I can't connect hard wire - or do I need a cable that caters for both ?

Thanks
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

The "6-7 mm" socket on your PC will be a modem - so you can plug a phone line in and use it for dial-up. You'll need to either fit a network card or go wireless. You'll not notice any speed difference between the two unless you're on super duper fast broadband.
    A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

Originally posted by SlimRick View Post
      The "6-7 mm" socket on your PC will be a modem - so you can plug a phone line in and use it for dial-up. You'll need to either fit a network card or go wireless. You'll not notice any speed difference between the two unless you're on super duper fast broadband.
      thanks, is there any paerticular make of dongle thats works better - my modem is netgear...
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

You can also buy a PCI/ISA network card[1] or a USB2-to-Ethernet dongle-thingy. Both should be faster than wireless.

[1] I picked a gigabit card from PCWorld many years ago for about 15quid but can't seem to find it on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by TroubleAtMill View Post
          You can also buy a PCI/ISA network card[1] or a USB2-to-Ethernet dongle-thingy. Both should be faster than wireless.

[1] I picked a gigabit card from PCWorld many years ago for about 15quid but can't seem to find it on their website.
          WHS

Ethernet cards are very very cheap these days
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DFE-5...1281715&sr=8-1

£7.48 for a 100mb/s PCI card

or this one
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fast-Etherne...1281715&sr=8-3
          £2.87
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

I've just been through this myself...

Originally posted by TroubleAtMill View Post
            You can also buy a PCI/ISA network card[1] or a USB2-to-Ethernet dongle-thingy.
            Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Ethernet cards are very very cheap these days
            The request for to connect the PC to a wireless modem.

My current wireless modem DOES have ethernet ports 'cos I bought it. The one provided by my ISP does NOT.

Bluebird, does your wireless modem have ethernet ports that would allow you to have a wired connection, and would that do what you want?

Alternatively, your choices are:
            a) if your PC has USB ports, then a USB dongle that does WiFi. These come in a variety of "strengths": G, N and some proprietary forms of G. Your wireless modem will tell you if it does a poprietary form of G.
            b) a PCI card for your desktop that has a little aerial on the back and does WiFi.

Is your desktop currently networked at all? And what operating system des it have on it?
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
            X