• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting to Intermediate SQL Server Level

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting to Intermediate SQL Server Level

Hi

I'm taking a break from work - contract not renewed and didn't bother looking.

Experienced in DB2 and SQLBase.

What's the best way to get up to speed with SQLServer which I have only used a bit. Need to come across as proficient in an interview.
    Can take 2/3/4 weeks.

Ta

Get yourself a copy of this

http://www.amazon.com/Sams-Teach-You.../dp/0672324695

It's actually a really good way to learn SQL Server (in this case 2000 version) really quicky. Good reviews.

Work through it quickly and then implement a database for something real.

Comment

You can download the latest developer edition for free.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

In past I have managed to get a few cheap dvd's about £5 from ebay and
        some have been really good, definately cheaper than books.

good example of one I can see

Comment

Thanks all for the prompt replies.
          I plan to start by Downloading SQL Server 2008 Express Edition and using some the of the books and DVDs you are suggesting.
          I assume 2008 is backwardly compatible, so exercises in 2000/2005 Books/DVDs will work with it....

Comment

Originally posted by xux42 View Post
            I assume 2008 is backwardly compatible, so exercises in 2000/2005 Books/DVDs will work with it....
            Not exactly. The 'Enterprise Manager' GUI in SQL Server 2000 became the rather different 'Management Studio' in 2005/2008.

If you're doing stuff mostly in query format rather than with the GUI, you should be OK with literature written for the 2000 version, otherwise you're best off working with stuff written for 2005 upwards.

Comment

Get to grips with Transact SQL (T-SQL). It's easier than Oracle PL/SQL and is used in both SQL Server and Sybase, so if you know one you pretty much know the other.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                You can download the latest developer edition for free.
                Developer edition is NOT FREE (through any legal channels)

It can be legally purchased for about £50 though (legal downloads from MS might be even cheaper)
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-De...1151185&sr=8-1

My opinion is... if you can spare the £50 then get the developer edition over express. The differences between the editions are big enough for you to find yourself in a pickle when you try and apply your knowledge within a corporate environment. Plus you'll get the other components - SSIS, SSRS and SSAS

Don't worry too much about SQL Server using up lots of resources. Unless you've actually got 10's of gigs of data on there and some really badly optimised tables and queries you'll find it has a pretty small foot print
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                X