• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ebook reader recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only used it for a few minutes so far. It was easy to set up - handles .txt and .pdf OK, but doesn't do .html. Screen is perfect to read off, and syncing books with the PC is dead quick (for somebody used to an iPod).
    Navigation is a bit thunky and the pages flash for about a second when you turn them, but that was common to all the ones I looked at.
    It'll serve nicely to provide reading matter for a Christmas fortnight in the ancestral seat, anyway.

Comment

I was thinking of getting a Sony PRS600SC but wondering if this is the best thing now.

Heres my requirements...

1. I wont be necessarily reading the pages in sequential order and I tend to jump around lots. It will need good search facilities and navigation.
      2. I'll need to be able to view diagrams clearly.
      3. Needs a battery life that will cover me for at least half a day of continuous use before recharge.

Given these requirements will the Sony be enough or will I have to stump up for an Ipad?

Comment

Originally posted by lightng View Post
        1. I wont be necessarily reading the pages in sequential order and I tend to jump around lots. It will need good search facilities and navigation.
        2. I'll need to be able to view diagrams clearly.
        3. Needs a battery life that will cover me for at least half a day of continuous use before recharge.

Given these requirements will the Sony be enough or will I have to stump up for an Ipad?
        Another vote for Sony

1. They do have bookmarks and contents table in Sony readers
        2. Depends on how big they are ? If you can see the level of details you need in a paper version of the book, the readers should be OK, but do not expect to see the A1 size diagram clearly
        3. It is not about time but how often you refresh the screen's content. You can have it on full charge for weeks if reading the same page. Generally battery life is quite good in PRS and you may recharge it from your laptop using a standard USB cable.

I wouldn't go for anything size of iPad, also screen type does matter if you do lots of reading

Comment

I have the PRS-505 and its a godsend seeing as I spend a lot of time in hotels, its made my luggage a lot lighter :-) I do download some of the 'freebie', i.e. Project Gutenburg books but tend to buy most online at Waterstones. Just bought Frau D. the pocket version as it comes in a nice shade of pink...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Thx Lumiere and Darmstadt. Will get one ordered. I'll probably avoid the pink one though.

Comment

Elonex are bringing out the first sub £100 touch screen ebook reader at the end of this month. Dunno if it does what you want though.

More details here.
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
              X