• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Access USB Linux Partition from WinXP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access USB Linux Partition from WinXP

Anyone know how to do this? I've downloaded a couple of things which claim to be able to do it but neither of them work (explore2fs, totalcommander).

I created a bootable USB VMware esxi (through WinImage) & it created 5 partitions. I want to get a file from one of the linux partitions. From windows I just see the 1 windows partition. From linux (esxi) I see the other partitions, which I guess makes sense. Unfortunately, the esxi machine doesnt see its hard drive so I can't copy file to there. I can only do this with this USB stick. As you can gether, I know f all about Linux. Any ideas?

Linux partition visible from Windows

Try all the options from this Sourceforge page. If you're still not getting anywhere, you could boot into linux from your USB, and reformat one of the Linux partitions as a Windows partition (using fdisk, which will be destructive), or create a new partition using any unused space on the USB drive

Comment

Originally posted by Unwitting Catalyst View Post
      Try all the options from this Sourceforge page. If you're still not getting anywhere, you could boot into linux from your USB, and reformat one of the Linux partitions as a Windows partition (using fdisk, which will be destructive), or create a new partition using any unused space on the USB drive

Hmmm , have tried that but windows can still only see the original boot partition that was originally set up - not the new partition. Have formatted this as NFTS - there are many different options.

Comment

Reading linux partition from Windows

Did you run mkntfs after changing the partition id to ntfs? Did you try the DiskInternals application? This seems happy reading hard disks and USB's

Comment

Originally posted by Unwitting Catalyst View Post
          Did you run mkntfs after changing the partition id to ntfs? Did you try the DiskInternals application? This seems happy reading hard disks and USB's
          Tried the free Linux Reader - this lists all the partitions but when I try and open any of them I get an error saying "Can't open disk - check the disk and try again"

Disk Internals FAT Recovery lists the partitions & gives you the option to recover files. It lists the file I'm after too. Unfortunately, you have to pay up $79 to be able to do the recover. Client won't get his credit card out.

Will try the mkntfs option next

Comment

Working...
          X