• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GridView dot net question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
    This thread is painful. This problem should have been solved within minutes by just creating a class to deal with it. I don't think I could face being in a contract where I had to tread so lightly that I could not produce a 20 line class in order to save hours of messing around trying to get a gridview to go against everything C# is all about.

I have had people ask me in the past about how to manage things using multi-dimensional arrays as they wish to save time in writing classes. I tell them you don't and this thread is a fine example on why you will not save anytime using them.
    It's life though. Sometimes you have to play it their way for a bit, then they see the error of their ways, and sell the idea back to you as if it's their own. You on the other hand chuckle as you raise your invoice.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      It's life though. Sometimes you have to play it their way for a bit, then they see the error of their ways, and sell the idea back to you as if it's their own. You on the other hand chuckle as you raise your invoice.
      You need to look at contracts with a more senior role I think, where you can dictate the coding standards and practises to the junior developers. It sounds like you've in at a lower level, which, the way things are going, will get farmed out to India or similar.

And, if you are being contracted as the more senior position, you should be forcing best practise onto these guys/gals

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
        You need to look at contracts with a more senior role I think, where you can dictate the coding standards and practises to the junior developers. It sounds like you've in at a lower level, which, the way things are going, will get farmed out to India or similar.

And, if you are being contracted as the more senior position, you should be forcing best practise onto these guys/gals
        WHS.

Don't follow their bad practices.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          WHS.

Don't follow their bad practices.
          I am contracted in at a senior level. I have tried to get them to listen. There are one or two machiavelis who are extremely ambitious and have tried to undermine me on many an occasion. Rather than clash, I have opted to let things fall down, and then help them rebuild with good grace. I guess a kind of damage limitation strategy.

One outcome is that they will listen next time. Or the machiavelis might say I should have said something sooner.

There is some shocking code in this place, and a huge disconnect between the senior management and the coders, so that they will believe whatever bulltulip they are fed. As a contractor, you get badmouthed you get sent down the road, period.

Sometimes it's just better to STFU and go with it, and then invoice. It's not like I have a hell of a lot of choice atm.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
          X