• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skype or voip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype or voip

I am renting a flat with a decent internet connection but no phone line (it is an annexe to a house) and intermittent mobile phone signal so considering skype or similar - how easy is it to use to make calls to mobiles and landlines that aren't using skype etc? How easy is it to receive calls from landlines etc?

You need Skype out to call mobiles/landlines and a Skype number to receive calls.

Skype out requires credits or a monthly subscription.

I recomend a skype handset.

All seems to work, but calling overseas mobiles proved to be a problem (poor quality).

All setup online from their website. Easy peasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      how easy is it to use to make calls to mobiles and landlines that aren't using skype etc? How easy is it to receive calls from landlines etc?
      Very easy.
      There's two features:
      skypein where you buy a proper phone number that people call
      skypeout can also be configured to forward call to you mobile when you're away from the computer so that you don't miss any calls.

So if you're asking quiestions like this definitely go ahead with Skype as I just don't feel you'd like to configure an asterisk box for what you need.

Comment

Skype works fine, even from my mobile handset- Skype client download requred (dont tell my mobile provider as I dont pay them for these calls).

PZZ

Comment

I am renting a flat with a decent internet connection but no phone line (it is an annexe to a house) and intermittent mobile phone signal so considering skype or similar - how easy is it to use to make calls to mobiles and landlines that aren't using skype etc? How easy is it to receive calls from landlines etc?
          I'm happy with Skype and SkypeOut - though some calls can be poor quality and sometimes the IM messages take a long time to get delivered.

I've never tried any other VOIP - so its a case of 'better the devil you know...'

Skype 4.1 for Windows allows you to share your desktop or a window on desktop - not tried it yet still waiting for others to upgrade.
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
            Skype works fine, even from my mobile handset- Skype client download requred (dont tell my mobile provider as I dont pay them for these calls).

PZZ
            Presumably you can show the tax man lots of invoices for expensive calls?
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Cheers all for replies

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                Presumably you can show the tax man lots of invoices for expensive calls?
                Why would I want to do this, my clients usually pick up all of my bills.

PZZ

Comment

I can't seem to find any stand-alone skype phones I could plug into a router - is this because no-one does this any more?

I can use a headset plugged into my lappy but would like to be able to make and receive calls without it switched on if possible.

Comment

I can't seem to find any stand-alone skype phones I could plug into a router - is this because no-one does this any more?

I can use a headset plugged into my lappy but would like to be able to make and receive calls without it switched on if possible.
                    Try one of these or similar: http://www.skypestyle.com/rtx_dualphone_3088.htm

Better still download one of the many Skype clients to your mobile and get on a flat rate data tarrif and have Skype go where you go.

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                    X