• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FireFox 3 on Mac needs force quit almost hourly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireFox 3 on Mac needs force quit almost hourly

FF 3.0.11 on OS X 10.4.11 particularly.

FireFox 3.x is as good as gold on Windows XP, but is a steaming heap on OS X 10.4.11.

After a few hours, or even minutes of usage, it stops displaying images, doesn't follow hyperlinks and eventually grinds to a halt.

I like(d) FF, and I use the webdev and other plug-ins.

If I didn't need the plug-ins, I could at least use Safari, which I don't really like much as a day-to-day browser (V4 esp).

It seems that the Moz FF team are not interested in resolving their failures on the OS X platform.

I have removed all plug-ins and add ons. My 10.4.11 is as vanilla as it comes, but FF3 behaves like a temperamental piece of crap.

I have now resorted to using FF3 with plugins under a Fusion Windows XP VM.

FireFox sucks, for Mac Users
    Last edited by bogeyman; 29 June 2009, 15:39.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

What's wrong with Safari?

I think it's the dugs danglies
    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by tino View Post
      What's wrong with Safari?

I think it's the dugs danglies
      Safari has always been a bit primitive, poor UI customisation, and V4 is decidedly flakey and slower than 3 (and please, spare me that Top Sites tulipe).

If you just surf the web, then I'm sure it's fine, but if you do any serious web-app development, it's utter pants.

FF offered the best set of tools and plugins for web dev, but the FF devs are clearly not interested in OS X these days, and will not fix the many problems that exist (have existed) since FF 2.0 on OS X.

FF3 for OS X gets worse and worse with every point upgrade.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        Safari has always been a bit primitive, poor UI customisation, and V4 is decidedly flakey and slower than 3 (and please, spare me that Top Sites tulipe).

If you just surf the web, then I'm sure it's fine, but if you do any serious web-app development, it's utter pants.

FF offered the best set of tools and plugins for web dev, but the FF devs are clearly not interested in OS X these days, and will not fix the many problems that exist (have existed) since FF 2.0 on OS X.

FF3 for OS X gets worse and worse with every point upgrade.

That must be why I like it
        Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
        I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by tino View Post
          That must be why I like it
          Yep, well we have different requirements and expectations, I suppose.

Comment

I thought everything on an Apple "just worked", and the peer review processes and dedicated individuals that make up open source projects mean it isn't possible for any open source project to have any flaw whatsoever.

I'm so confused.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I thought everything on an Apple "just worked", and the peer review processes and dedicated individuals that make up open source projects mean it isn't possible for any open source project to have any flaw whatsoever.

I'm so confused.
              As you probably well know, nothing 'just works'.

And OSS projects are at least as fallible as any commercial offering.

At least when OSS code is busted, I can fix it, or I know a 'man who can'.

Comment

I have removed all plug-ins and add ons. My 10.4.11 is as vanilla as it comes, but FF3 behaves like a temperamental piece of crap.
                Therein lies your trouble. You want that 10.5 upgrade.

Safari 4 is noticeably (order of seconds) faster than 3 on Leopard.

I rarely use FF, except for a check of the occasional client website update and I don't use any plugins but I've never had a problem with it.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

try FF 3.5 (recently released)

Comment

While I can't force you to upgrade to Leopard, I certainly see no reason why you shouldn't get FF3.5 - it's got massive improvements in JS performance among other things...

Comment

Working...
                    X