• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting up a linux mail server..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up a linux mail server..

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent Linux mail server that is fairly painless to set up, administrate and obviously one that is pretty secure.

First time I have ever set one up linked to a domain name so I am obviously worried that my hacking away setting it up could make it become a relay server.

There's your evenings for the next 3 months sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent Linux mail server that is fairly painless to set up, administrate and obviously one that is pretty secure.

First time I have ever set one up linked to a domain name so I am obviously worried that my hacking away setting it up could make it become a relay server.
      You didn't say what you want to do with your new mail server, but postfix will probably do for starters. You can build out from there.
      If you are concerned about security, use bastion to lock down the box, a firewall as a first line choke point and install something like tripwire or snort to let you know if anyone is doing bad stuff (or administrators doing stupid stuff come to that)....the rest will come.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
        You didn't say what you want to do with your new mail server, but postfix will probably do for starters. You can build out from there.
        PZZ
        Is really just to send out activation mails from a forum type application sitting on the same box. I am not even sure I have to link it to my domain but I might as well go for it, I am using zoneedit for DNS so I think I just have to point the MX record towatds the server. I might actually close the incoming port as set up a mail forward at the DNS layer if that is possible.

Its on the amazon EC2 so that gives me quite a bit of security already and I will be the only administrator.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Is really just to send out activation mails from a forum type application sitting on the same box. I am not even sure I have to link it to my domain but I might as well go for it, I am using zoneedit for DNS so I think I just have to point the MX record towatds the server. I might actually close the incoming port as set up a mail forward at the DNS layer if that is possible.

Its on the amazon EC2 so that gives me quite a bit of security already and I will be the only administrator.
          postfix then..

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
            postfix then..

PZZ

cheers

Comment

You may find this useful:

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-us...l-debian-lenny

or if you don't particularly like Debian, pick your own OS:

http://www.howtoforge.com/howtos/email/postfix

and +1 for postfix

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                You may find this useful:

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-us...l-debian-lenny

or if you don't particularly like Debian, pick your own OS:

http://www.howtoforge.com/howtos/email/postfix

and +1 for postfix
                I'll have a read at them today thanks, got the thing running last night, not that running "apt-get postfix" was hard. Had a dig about the docs and config files and it seems to be fairly secure out of the box. Try and link it up to my app tonight.

Comment

Working...
                X