• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linq query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linq query

Hi guys,

Have used linq for some basic stuff before but want to use it for the following problem and am not sure how to tackle it.

I have a single table, and I want to build lots of objects based on it.

So..

Data:
    Location | Month | Price
    London | DEC | 1.99
    London | DEC | 2.99
    London | NOV | 1.99
    Essex | JAN | 1.99

Needs to build 2 Location objects with London and essex, with 2 month objects inside london and a price object inside the month.

Not sure if I explained that well.

Thanks

Are you using Linq-to-SQL or MS Entity Framework to map your database to a class hierarchy?

Do you know what you are doing?

Comment

It will be fairly easy with LINQ to SQL and a couple of joins in your LINQ statement, but the thing that has the tendency to shoot you in the foot with LINQ to SQL is the deferred execution you'll have to cope with on the contained (joined) instances.

In fact deferred execution can be a total pain in the ass epecially if you need to do data caching in a ASP.NET web application but there are ways around the problems e.g. ToList().

Personally I don't see any difference between LINQ to SQL and the Entity framework..in LINQ to SQL you create your DBML and that auto-builds your business layer classes for you and that's been good enough for me in the past. Maybe I'm missing the point of the Entity framework..My 2p
      Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Working...
      X