• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Auto number generation in Excel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto number generation in Excel

I am setting up a spreadsheet to hold invoices/expenses - has anyone got some code which will allow me to auto generate an invoice number in sequence? i.e. row 1 = invoice 1 and potentially row 10 = invoice 2 etc....

Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by speedo View Post
    I am setting up a spreadsheet to hold invoices/expenses - has anyone got some code which will allow me to auto generate an invoice number in sequence? i.e. row 1 = invoice 1 and potentially row 10 = invoice 2 etc....

Any help would be appreciated.
    Sorry. I'm sure I'm missing the point here but can't you do:

A2=A1+1?

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
      Sorry. I'm sure I'm missing the point here but can't you do:

A2=A1+1?
      Show off.

Comment

You don't even need a formula.

Put two numbers in sequence e.g. 1 in a1 and 2 in a2.

Highlight the cells with a mouse and drag the bottom corner down. Excel will pick up on the sequence and generate the other numbers for you.

Comment

Autofill handle, bottom right corner of the cell. Grab and drag down, it will increment sequentially.

Comment

If there are gaps between successive invoices, and these gaps follow no pattern e.g. invoice numbers in a2 a5 a12, you can use a formula like...

in A12 =max(a$1:a11) + 1

then copy / paste the last invoice number when ever you need one.

Comment

Working...
            X