• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XL question #2 for all you gurus!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XL question #2 for all you gurus!!

In conditional formating, is there a way of formating the contents of one cell based on the value of another cell?

I am trying to do the following:-

- Format cells F2 and G2 based on the content of A2
    - Format cells F3 and G3 based on the content of A3

etc etc

The aim is to make the cell contents of columns F and G not appear until something is put in column A

MMmm...! I guess I really ought to invest in the advanced Excel course.....!!

TIA

You might use an "if" for this, e.g. in cell f2 you might have a formula like...

+if(a2="", "", c2+d2)

Comment

Yes

In the conditional formatting dropdown select Formula is rather than Call Value is, and then do something like in cell c1, Formula is =A1<>0, and select your formatting.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
        Yes

In the conditional formatting dropdown select Formula is rather than Call Value is, and then do something like in cell c1, Formula is =A1<>0, and select your formatting.
        Hmmm...... tried that but can't seem to get it to work in XL2007. Not sure what I am doing wrong!

Comment

Mmm, Have you tried using =IF(a1<>0,1,0) in the conditional formatting box?

Sorry I don't have XL2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
            Mmm, Have you tried using =IF(a1<>0,1,0) in the conditional formatting box?

Sorry I don't have XL2007.

No worries. I removed all my formatting and re-applied the new formatting and it appears to be working now. I guess I need to read up on using macros!

Thanks for all input.

Comment

Working...
            X