• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help required on Dates over different cultures / locales

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help required on Dates over different cultures / locales

Hi

I am trying to design a database (backend of a website) and just need a few pointers on the best way to handle dates, specifically storing them and then the display within webpages and reports.

I don't want people using this in USA confusing dates with people in UK.

I know this should be straight-forward but I would be grateful if anyone can give me a link to or explain the best practices for doing this.

Database: Microsoft SQL Server 2005.
    Reports: Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services
    Webpages: .NET

TIA.

Hunting around looks like it is UTC format I need to store the date in.

onwards and upwards...

Comment

Surely you would store the date in a DateTime type column which is independent of display format or locale.

Dunno if this helps...

http://www.sql-server-performance.co...e_2008_p1.aspx

http://www.blackwasp.co.uk/SQLDateTimeFormats.aspx

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

How important is the date? You probably do need to preserve the time zone in which case a DATETIMEOFFSET might do the trick. This might help along with bogeymans links:-

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=H...um=3#PPA124,M1

http://blogs.msdn.com/bartd/archive/...-datetime.aspx
        Last edited by ASB; 21 May 2009, 17:57.

Comment

depends on the problem. In the past I have stored all the elements in seperate fields then concatenated them as and when

i.e. do it yourself rather than rely on any other fcker

good luck

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            depends on the problem. In the past I have stored all the elements in seperate fields then concatenated them as and when

i.e. do it yourself rather than rely on any other fcker

good luck

Blimey EO, surely DateTime fields exist in databases so that you can store Dates/Times.

You can then do date arithmetic on them to calculate ages, policy renewal dates etc etc.

You can use built-in functions to format and parse them, according to locale.

What sort of lunatic would have "stored all the elements in seperate fields"?

You're having us on EO, I just know it.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              Blimey EO, surely DateTime fields exist in databases so that you can store Dates/Times.

You can then do date arithmetic on them to calculate ages, policy renewal dates etc etc.

You can use built-in functions to format and parse them, according to locale.

What sort of lunatic would have "stored all the elements in seperate fields"?

You're having us on EO, I just know it.
              Not so crazy. I've seen databases where days are given numeric values that look up separate records in a date_dimension lookup table. Normally on data mart schema. It's claimed that retrieval of data/calculations are quicker doing this rather than using date functions; I imagine it depends on the rdbms being used as to how big a difference this makes.
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                Not so crazy. I've seen databases where days are given numeric values that look up separate records in a date_dimension lookup table. Normally on data mart schema. It's claimed that retrieval of data/calculations are quicker doing this rather than using date functions; I imagine it depends on the rdbms being used as to how big a difference this makes.
                So if that's a requirement, store elements as separate integers but at least maintain a proper datetime column alongside.

I've done quite a bit of data-mining work and agree when dealing with many millions of records, it's better to split the date into discrete integer columns - especially of you need to index them! If you're doing that kind of work then MS SQL probably isn't the tool of choice anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  So if that's a requirement, store elements as separate integers but at least maintain a proper datetime column alongside.

I've done quite a bit of data-mining work and agree when dealing with many millions of records, it's better to split the date into discrete integer columns - especially of you need to index them! If you're doing that kind of work then MS SQL probably isn't the tool of choice anyway.
                  MS Access?
                  Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                    MS Access?
                    No. Non-relational databases with bitmapped indexes.

Comment

Working...
                    X