• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Migrate from INTEL to AMD will windoze work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrate from INTEL to AMD will windoze work

I'm looking to replace my intel CPU / MOBO with an AMD 939 set,

Asustek A8N SLI Socket 939 nForce 4 SLI PCI-E ATX & AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ S939

but

1/ Will my current IDE disk be usable, I assume so since the MOBO seems to support IDE

2/ If the disk works will WINDOZE boot / work

TIA

MG
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

You'll need to re-install Windows, especially if it's XP - it doesn't like hardware changes. The IDE disk should be OK though.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Ditto that, it's a completely different processor chipset, Windows will need to be reloaded. But IDE drives will work fine.

Well done for joining AMD, far superiour to that Intel claptrap.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I don't fancy Windows messing up my HD (any more than it already has), so cold I add a SATA disk, install windows on that and just reference the data old one.

if that makes sense.

MG
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

I have had an AMD 64 3200 (socket 754 I think) for about 18 months now and never had a problem with it, although it tends to run quite hot! Windows is fine but, as stated before, you'll have to reinstall it. Mine has 2 IDE drives, a SATA drive and a DVD writer on another IDE conection. I have not tried it on the 64 bit version of windows yet - MS sent the s/w through last week for that.

SATA drives can be a bit of a pain though as windows doesn't always pick them up. Mine boots from one of the IDE drives
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
            Thanks guys,

I don't fancy Windows messing up my HD (any more than it already has), so cold I add a SATA disk, install windows on that and just reference the data old one.

if that makes sense.

MG
            Definitely makes sense.
            Could also copy the data off the IDE drive temporarily onto your new drive & then format your old drive (To get rid of old Windows install) and then copy data back to your nice clean drive...

Comment

You will almost certainly need a new windoze license. In theory you can phone and get a new unlock code, but it takes so long it can be cheaper just to buy a new one (well at my rate).

Would concur it is probably best to transfer your old drive and use as a D until you've transfered all your data across.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                You will almost certainly need a new windoze license. In theory you can phone and get a new unlock code, but it takes so long it can be cheaper just to buy a new one (well at my rate).

Would concur it is probably best to transfer your old drive and use as a D until you've transfered all your data across.

Na,

takes a few mins on the phone to an Indain. If they question your key they will transfer you to a UK call centre - you tell them you replaced the Video card and it all went pete tong.
                Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

check that your PSU has the new type ATXv2 connector as these MB have the 24 pin type not the 20pin older type.....
                  SA says;
                  Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  (whatever these are)

Comment

I've started going over to AMD Opteron processors recently, including dual core (building one this week in Tel Aviv in fact) and find them much faster. The only dislike was the SATA disks as with a 7t card they were pretty slow. Switched to a 6i+ with SCSi and it rockets. Time to get one for home use methinks.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X