• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC Rebuild Time - Help please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Rebuild Time - Help please

Hi

My spanking fast 4gb, 4 core 3 Mhz PC is now tulip and running slower than a slug stuck in tar. There are no nasties on it so I suspect that a rebuild is required - Oh great !
    It's running Windows XP on an upgrade to Vista.
    I quite like XP (apart from the yearly rebuild tulip)

My question is that I am now a Microsoft Partner so have lots of Windows OS versions to play with. Which is the best Microsoft OS for not requiring a re-build every year? Business Server 2008 ? and if Business Server will I be able to run Age of Empires on it and all of my other XP Software or should I just stick with XP. ?

Advice please. Cheers

I'd recommend clean (not upgrade) reinstall of OS - this will wipe out all junk and install just the stuff you need (ie Office).

Windows 7 sounds like a winner, RC1 is out now but it will expire in a year, I prefer to stick with Win XP Pro for now. 64-bit version also runs well, but might not be best if you plan to run 32-bit apps like games.

Comment

OK Thanks. XP it is then. I can't do without Age of Empires.

Comment

Yeah XP is still the most solid. I've got W2K8 Server on my work desktop but after about 2 months its starting to play up in terms of launching apps slowly. It never needs rebooting though!

Comment

I've been running Vista Ultimate on an Intel Quad Core Q6600 with 4Gb of RAM for about a year now without having to flatten it..that's not say the OS is without problems because on a daily basis I play guess how my files will appear in windows explorer today..it's completely random. I've also switched off most of the Vista UI cack, but it's a stable enough platform to develop on with VS2008, SQL2008 etc.
          Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

I think that I'll try taking lots of backups this time at monthly intervals then hopefully the next XP re-build will be quicker. Or perhaps maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
              I think that I'll try taking lots of backups this time at monthly intervals then hopefully the next XP re-build will be quicker. Or perhaps maybe not.
              Do this - reinstall Win XP clean, then install only software you 100% use all the time, at this point clone disk or maybe even create VMware image, so next time you need to refresh you won't have to go through reinstalls.

Also VMware on top of your OS might be handy for junk things that you might not want to use permanently.

Comment

That's a good idea. Thanks.

Comment

I only use xp in parallels however I used XPlite after the installation to strip out unnecessary services - boots up in around 10 seconds on my Mac, which is already running OS X in the background.

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

http://www.nliteos.com/
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
                    Hi

My spanking fast 4gb, 4 core 3 Mhz PC is now tulip and running slower than a slug stuck in tar. There are no nasties on it so I suspect that a rebuild is required - Oh great !
                    It's running Windows XP on an upgrade to Vista.
                    I quite like XP (apart from the yearly rebuild tulip)

My question is that I am now a Microsoft Partner so have lots of Windows OS versions to play with. Which is the best Microsoft OS for not requiring a re-build every year? Business Server 2008 ? and if Business Server will I be able to run Age of Empires on it and all of my other XP Software or should I just stick with XP. ?

Advice please. Cheers
                    It wasnt a piece of tulip bought from PC Options Ltd was it?
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X