• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dead Dell D620

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Dell D620

My son's Dell D620 died on him the other day, looked like the battery had packed up so I got him a new battery.

Checked the new battery before attaching it to the laptop and got 4 nice green lights, lovely. Put the battery in, switched the laptop on and nothing. Took the battery out and now no green lights show. It's as if the laptop has shorted out the battery

He's sure he's not spilt anything on it. Any clues as to what I can do next before taking it to a spotty teenager to be fixed?

Cheers

Does it work on mains power? Hold down Fn and power on for a diagnostic boot which may give some clues.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

This is a must for all Dell owners, it's what the engineers use:

http://support.dell.com/support/down...32141&vercnt=3
      Gissa job

Comment

Many thanks

I'll take a look this evening.

Comment

No joy with the fn + power on.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
            No joy with the fn + power on.
            Ok, very off the wall. But I jad a bunch of problems with a dell 8600 some years ago. Would kill the battery quickly and go flat and not work off mains only, all this sort of thing. Actually turned out it was the power supply (I was very sceptical when they said "ah, you need a 110w power supply not an 80w one). Might just be worth trying it on a universal supply with the local spotty teenager.

Comment

Dell power supplies are a joke, you need a slightly more powerful one than standard to run a laptop on a port rep.

I had a Dell engineer tell me that if I used a port rep PS direct on the laptop it would blow the motherboard, I wanted to tell him that was bollox but it was a warranty call.
              Last edited by gingerjedi; 27 April 2009, 12:09.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

So, even though this laptop has been running ok for the last 6 months, it could be that the power pack has lost the ability to power the laptop? I did try another power pack with no luck though.

Comment

Was it charging when powered off? There's a little button on the battery with LED's that show the state of charge.

I've had batteries that seem fine but lose all charge within 15 seconds once powered on.

If it doesn't power on with mains with or without a battery it's either the laptop or PS, you need another PS to be sure.

Comment

Nope no charging at all.

Current PS is 65W, so i tried my XPS PS which is 90W, and nothing.

Comment

Working...
                    X