• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there any serious rival to the iPod touch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any serious rival to the iPod touch?

Apart from the iPod touch, is there anything else on the market similar? multitouch technology, download applications, Wifi enabled etc?

Or is it a one horse race at the moment?

I guess not?

No other touch screen gadgets with lots of cool applications, web browsing etc?

Comment

Maybe a Creative Zen PMP sellotaped to a Nintendo DS?

There's this thing: http://stuff.tv/review/Samsung-P2/ but hadn't heard of it before so dont know if its any good?

Other than that, I think it'd have to be a full Netbook to offer the same functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I guess not?

No other touch screen gadgets with lots of cool applications, web browsing etc?
        How about a HTC Touchscreen phone with built in wifi?
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          How about a HTC Touchscreen phone with built in wifi?
          And that's the key point right there - android, blackberry & nokia are all introducing app-stores for their similarly enabled phones.

There isn't a similar device without a phone and the same sort of application options unless you go with a netbook / palmtop.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

There have been gadgets like this for a while really. I have a Palm Lifedrive which is WiFi, Bluetooth, expandable memory, comes with 4gb as standars. Then I have a Sony thing which opens up and has a small keyboard, a display which rotates and can be folded down, camera, WiFi, Bluetooth, MP3 player with headphones, expandable memory and so on its just that Apple have become synonymous with this type of gadget.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Netbooks are nothing like an iPod touch, and most phones with a touchscreen don't have such a good display, multitouch, apps store and fancy UI.

I'm coming to the conclusion the iPod is decades ahead of everything else and I'm going to have to buy one, unless someone knows of something even more incredible out there?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Netbooks are nothing like an iPod touch, and most phones with a touchscreen don't have such a good display, multitouch, apps store and fancy UI.

I'm coming to the conclusion the iPod is decades ahead of everything else and I'm going to have to buy one, unless someone knows of something even more incredible out there?
                If you want one, get one. You'll be helping the economy
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I'd mebbe hang fire to see if the rumors of the next hardware update are true before buying.....

But on the other hand, if you buy one now, you can use it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                    I'd mebbe hang fire to see if the rumors of the next hardware update are true before buying.....

But on the other hand, if you buy one now, you can use it now.
                    Links please?

Comment

Working...
                    X