• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virtual PC and Evaluations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so I get the server hosting side and the client access software. Is there any way of hosting the client access software minimally i.e. without Windows?

I want to have a variety of Windows VMs on the server so the client pc just needs to be a dumb terminal really with no access to anything other than the VMWare Server.

Comment

Well I suppose you could but the host normally doesn't have a terminal as the ESX OS is a very dumbed down Linux. There is a CLI interface but I believe that is only in the paid for version but you can also access via a web interface.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

just get VMware Workstation, create a machine there, make a standard windows install for example and take a snapshot of this machine clean of any additional software installed. then you can try as many programs as you want and if you dont need them any more just go back to the clean snapshot you took before. xp machine will run perfectly with 512 dedicated to it so you dont really need a very powerful machine.
        in my VMWare I run a domain controller with 2 xp machines powered on and that all on the laptop with 2gb or ram

Comment

Working...
        X