• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

online shop / shopping cart recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

online shop / shopping cart recommendations

Hi All,

Helping someone set up an online shop, currently looking at Actinic -
    (more catalogue based), quite easy to use but was wondering if anyone has had any previous experiences or can offer any guidance, requirements are pretty standard, nothing out of the ordinary.

Also looked at cubecart - though highly recommended I'm not too sure.

thanks in advance.
    cut me - ill bleed rosso red

osCommerce is very popular and well supported. ZenCart might be worth a look as well.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Depends on what hosting you've got, if .NET then use http://www.d2-storefront.com/D2-StoreFront-Demo.htm

Comment

hosting isnt a problem as i havent bought that yet - was waiting to find a programme, cart i liked first.

incase i didnt mention i want a whole solution, not just a cart, something that stores the customer details, images, sends out emails to customers automatically etc.

im not database or programming literate, so i need something that i dont need to get into the coding.

sorry shouldve mentioned this earlier.

Comment

Why not just front a shop on ebay?

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/storefronts/seller-landing.html

http://www.cazoobi.com/ebayshop_pro.html

Comment

thanks DP, that was quite useful to show what can be done with an ebay shop and looks good.

An ebay shop will happen first as a kind of 'test' before the online shop happens, but an independant online shop is what they are after.

Comment

I would look at joomla. They have various shopping cart plugins and some shopping carts have fully integrated themselves and come with a combined joomla/cart installed.

Http://www.joomla.org I think it was.

You then get a fully featured cms as well.

Wouldn't touch oscommerce with a barge pole they have always been behind the curve in regards to security. You used to have to use global vars to get it to work.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                Wouldn't touch oscommerce with a barge pole they have always been behind the curve in regards to security. You used to have to use global vars to get it to work.....
                Global vars are no longer required. Given the open source nature of the product the "community" tend to be pretty quick at identifying security holes these days, although it has had a chequered history.

Comment

I know hence why I said used to. It took them a few years to fix that though and I have no confidence in them any more.

IMHO there are much better and more secure products available.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                    I know hence why I said used to. It took them a few years to fix that though and I have no confidence in them any more.
                    Fair enough, I feel it's just better to evaluate a product based on its current implementation rather than mistakes made in the past.
                    Last edited by voodooflux; 26 March 2009, 10:30. Reason: Missed an apostrophe.

Comment

Working...
                    X