• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Broadband Sync Speed - Insight Please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadband Sync Speed - Insight Please

After all the snow, my BB sync speed dropped:

Up Speed 576000
    Down Speed 2720000
    SNR Margin 6.0
    Loop Att.18.5

And of course my profile dropped soon after to 2000. Up until this point my sync had always been 8128000 and my profile 7150, and was impressively fast.

After a week of messing (and being told it must be my router at fault) a got into the habit of switching off the router each day and switching it back on. After 3 days of this my sync recovered:

Up Speed 832000
    Down Speed 7616000
    SNR Margin 13.0
    Loop Att. 19.0

So I assumed all was well with my router and as usual BT had messed something up at the exchange. My profile soon improved to 6500.

So today I'd thought I'd switch the router off and on again to see if I could reclaim the last ounces of speed back. Naturally this didn't work and my sync speed has now plummeted again with my profile following down to 3000 soon after.

Up Speed 832000
    Down Speed 3552000
    SNR Margin 8.5
    Loop Att. 19.0

Can anyone please provide any insight? Is my router dying (it's a Vigor so not totally cheap rubbish)? Or is this most likely a BT / line / whatever issue.

My ISP were pretty useless at trying to resolve this. As far as I can tell it got better by itself or else BT fixed something then (as usual) denied there was anything wrong.

TIA.

Working...
X