• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SEO Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEO Question

Thought I would ask here as there seem to be people into SEO.

Obviously you need to have regular updates on your website to improve your SEO, but does this have to be regularly changing html content, or will an RSS ticker that is constantly updating news for your site work as well? (obviously the ticker will be pulling new for the website it is on, not just pulling in random updates from the net)

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Thought I would ask here as there seem to be people into SEO.

Obviously you need to have regular updates on your website to improve your SEO, but does this have to be regularly changing html content, or will an RSS ticker that is constantly updating news for your site work as well? (obviously the ticker will be pulling new for the website it is on, not just pulling in random updates from the net)
    RSS is good - especially if you submit the feed to as many sources (including your iGoogle/MyYahoo etc ). As long as the content is unique and not just grabbed from other sites.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Think he means just including someone elses feed in his site rather than creating his own?

Comment

No I mean creating my own. I'm looking at putting all the content in RSS format that will link to a a page where you can see the full article, but the full article will not be linked in any other way.

Updates to articles on the site will be linked by an RSS ticker to minimise the real estate used compared to having a traditional news panel. The idea is to focus on the products offered by the site, whilst still enabling regular content updates for SEO purposes.

However I'm no SEO guru.

Hopefully that sort of makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
          No I mean creating my own.
          Ah, sorry, then yes, RSS linking back to your site pages is a good idea.

The trick is publicising the fact that this feed exists, depending on your site content you want to look around for any relevent sites and feed directories that you can submit it to. Just submitting the feed URL to say Google is not enough, you want it spread around.

Comment

Here are a couple of links to some lists of RSS directories:

http://www.rss-specifications.com/rss-submission.htm

http://www.toprankblog.com/rss-blog-directories/

The point about submitting your feed to your igoogle/myyahoo etc is so that they know whenever you update your site. It's a good way to get a site indexed quickly and up the rankings.

HTH
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Cheers all, most useful

Comment

Working...
              X