• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dell Mini & New OS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Stick regular Ubuntu on it, in my experience these add-on's by vendors on OS's are more hassle than they are worth.
    I'd love to. However, the thing now appears not want to do anything. I've already spent some 4 hours on hold to Dell in the last few weeks so it looks like I'll be calling them again tonight.

Bearing in mind I've had this since November and it has never worked.

And by worked I mean I've never been able to do anything at all on it, even correctly load up the GUI.
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Comment

there's an option to change the layout to the standard Ubuntu one with a task bar etc. I think it's under Profile or something on one of the drop-downs.

It then just looks like a standard Ubuntu.

Comment

Ahh yes, but of course I can't see any drop downs. i.e. there is no task bar "start" button etc etc.
        "See?"

Comment

mmm mine has a taskbar at the top with one or two drop-downs as well as the central menu's.....

Comment

And mine doesn't. Hence wanting to install XP.
            "See?"

Comment

have you tried reinstalling Ubuntu from the disc that comes with it? The drives and memory are smaller on the Linux version so XP will run like a dog.

Comment

No CD / DVD drive and my other machine is a Windows one, so I'd assumed that I wouldn't be able to do anything with the CD to get it onto a USB and install it. Looks like I should invest in an external DVD drive.
                "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
                  No CD / DVD drive and my other machine is a Windows one, so I'd assumed that I wouldn't be able to do anything with the CD to get it onto a USB and install it. Looks like I should invest in an external DVD drive.

you can create a bootable 'Live USB' drive to reinstall it. There should be plenty of info on:

http://mydellmini.com/forum/index.php

Comment

Will give it one last try tonight and see what happens. A quick look show that people aren;'t having much success in this area though.

What I need to do is get a company to provide tech support for my ltd and just hand it over to them to do. Anyone care to start a B2B relationship?
                    "See?"

Comment

Working...
                    X